What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Non-ferrous nutplates

N546RV

Well Known Member
Do such things exist? I'm planning my ADAHRs mount, back in the tail of the -8, and thinking about maintainability. If I have to crawl back there to pull an ADAHRS unit, it sure would be nice to just have to remove screws and not have to also counter-hold a nut.

I figure there are two options to accomplish this:

#1: The aforementioned non-ferrous nutplates. The mounting shelf for the ADAHRS could be riveted to the longerons, and not removable.

#2: Use screws and nuts (brass or nylon) to attach the ADAHRS units to the shelf. Instead of riveting the shelf to the longerons, have it bolted into place. Servicing the units would involve simply removing the entire shelf as a unit.

#2 doesn't totally solve the problem though, since it still requires either a bolt and nut or a nutplate to attach the shelf. The hardware would be a bit further from the ADAHRS than the actual mounting screws, but still less than a foot away. It's my understanding that the influence of these could be calibrated out to some extent, but would still constitute a subpar install.

Make your own....

Incorporate at least 1/8" thick aluminum in your mount and tap it for your brass screws.

The entire mount need not be thick. Only at the point of mounting screws. IOW, you can simply make "nut-plates" out of 1/8' aluminum.

Last edited:
Do such things exist? I'm planning my ADAHRs mount, back in the tail of the -8, and thinking about maintainability. If I have to crawl back there to pull an ADAHRS unit, it sure would be nice to just have to remove screws and not have to also counter-hold a nut.

I figure there are two options to accomplish this:

#1: The aforementioned non-ferrous nutplates. The mounting shelf for the ADAHRS could be riveted to the longerons, and not removable.

#2: Use screws and nuts (brass or nylon) to attach the ADAHRS units to the shelf. Instead of riveting the shelf to the longerons, have it bolted into place. Servicing the units would involve simply removing the entire shelf as a unit.

#2 doesn't totally solve the problem though, since it still requires either a bolt and nut or a nutplate to attach the shelf. The hardware would be a bit further from the ADAHRS than the actual mounting screws, but still less than a foot away. It's my understanding that the influence of these could be calibrated out to some extent, but would still constitute a subpar install.

How often do you plan on removing the ADAHRS, anyway? Once installed, it's kind of a long-term thing that should just stay there for, oh, the life of the airplane or until you redo all the avionics.

I guess what I'm saying is that you're wasting more time looking for exotic hardware than just drilling a few holes and using brass hardware like everybody else.

Incorporate at least 1/8" thick aluminum in your mount and tap it for your brass screws.

Well that's a stunningly simple solution... I'll just be hiding over here in the corner if anyone needs me...

:p

Stainless Steel Nutplates

No opinion on whether stainless steel is non-magnetic “enough” for OP’s needs or whether non ferrous is even necessary for OP’s application, but stainless steel nutplates are easily obtainable.

79HA1-82 is the #8 screw version. Standard size 2 lug, 3/32 riveted

Non ferrous nutplates

I bought some but not home right now. They are aluminum with a nyloc sort of grip.
Shoot me a PM and I will reply tonight with info on where and part #.
The brass hardware is available from McMaster

I'd suggest panel nuts but I'm not sure if they are ferrous or not. Since they are made for panel installations, I'm guessing that they wouldn't be a huge factor in any case. That would let you keep the weight down by not needing a thick mounting plate.

Back