What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need to find some non magnetic hardware... advise?

huzilulu

Hey Guys

I need to find some non magnetic hardware as it is in close proximity to my GMU11.. Hardware is being used to attach my flap pushrods/torque tube:

AN4-11A Bolt
AN4 Washers
AN4 Locknut / low profile nuts
1/4" X 28 UNF ball joint rod end / Eyebolt

Any help is appreciated!
THanks

Huzi

Don't bother...

In actual practice the GMU-11 isn't going to be affected by standard AN hardware located a foot or more away.

Or Stainless steel hardware from the aviation isle of Lowe's

I would caution against using unknown-strength hardware on actual load-carrying parts. You sure wouldn’t want one flap to suddenly retract on short final due to a bolt failure. Find a better place for the Garmin box.

^^^

Ditto

reading through the replies, I think some folks are talking about hardware to mount the magnetometer to the tray or whatever. In that case, then yeah, stainless hardware is fine.

But, even aviation grade stainless steel isn't nearly as strong as equivalent AN hardware, and Lowes hardware is a complete unknown, because you have no idea which alloy percentages it has that make it "stainless" If you don't believe me, try sticking a magnet to the door of a stainless fridge. It's about 50/50 whether it will stick or not.

Flight controls are one area where you shouldn't be screwing around with hardware store parts unless you're 100% certain they have an equivalent or better structural capacity than AN hardware.

Try it with the appropriate hardware. It will likely be fine, but if not, then a better option is to move the magnetometer.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply gents! I asked because I did NOT want to use lesser strength hardware, and thought the collective might know a good source... The hardware I am looking for is structural - for the pushrod (not the magnetometer mount, which is not an issue)...

Thanks again

Since that hardware is spec'd for strength, the plastic and brass options won't work. How about isolating the GMU 11 with a ferrite sheet?

That would be the opposite of what you want, because it would affect the local magnetic field.

To the OP, just use the specified hardware for the pushrod. The GMU should be fine.

I would caution against using unknown-strength hardware on actual load-carrying parts. You sure wouldn’t want one flap to suddenly retract on short final due to a bolt failure. Find a better place for the Garmin box.

I think mounting a magnetometer that weights a few ounces isn't considered to be structural. The stainless screws at Lowes most likely have higher strength than the medium-strength AN screws. But one thing the AN screws should be used on the external surface is for the additional corrosion resistance

I think mounting a magnetometer that weights a few ounces isn't considered to be structural. The stainless screws at Lowes most likely have higher strength than the medium-strength AN screws. But one thing the AN screws should be used on the external surface is for the additional corrosion resistance

Re-read the OP. He’s talking about the flap actuating hardware, not mounting the garmin box.

Thank you for the reply gents! I asked because I did NOT want to use lesser strength hardware, and thought the collective might know a good source... The hardware I am looking for is structural - for the pushrod (not the magnetometer mount, which is not an issue)...

Thanks again

The rod-end on the pushrod is steel as well, plus the weldment itself, so changing the bolt probably won't help.

1) No substitutes for AN in the rod end HW!
2) As already said, given the distance it probably will not affect the magnetometer
3) Stop wondering about it - just taxi out there and run the magnetometer test - it will tell you straight away if you have a problem or not.

Back