What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FM-150 throttle/mixture question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
Mixture Issue:
So the mixture cable does touch the stock exhaust when using the FM-150 bracket and using the suggested FW pass thrus.

Turner offered a suggestion for the mixture cable. heat shield and fire sleeve. I think that I can do this along with some adel clamps.

Throttle:

In my case, the throttle cable hits the back edge of the FM-150 bracket. Has anyone else had this issue? The stock cable does not appear to be long enough when using the stock FW pass thru. It is hitting back sharp edge of the bracket.

I am wondering if it is safe to install an adel clamp in the bracket to hold the cable away from the edge of the bracket.

Least desirable is to put in a new FW pass thru. The thought of making that kind of mess makes me sick to my stomach.

AFS sells a spacer to move the 150 fwd enough for throttle to clear. I had to also add an extension to both cables. Also used heat shields n the exhaust and Fire sleeve on the cables.

I brought the mixture cable through the right side passthru and had to rig a couple adel/firesleeve to route it. I'd make a picture for you but the plane is out for paint. It is a big S to get it done but that's the best way.

As to the throttle I didn't need anything special on that side; I used the special adapter plate bolted to the engine. If it is the cable being too short you could send the measurement to Vans and ask how long it should be.

You might plan on having another firewall penetration anyway. I put in an extra in the upper left because all of the engine monitor cabling and other small items from the panel out to the engine (press gages, etc.) didn't want to fit and/or were too circuitous with the planned penetrations.

I've often thought that a new eyeball penetration for mixture would be smart. If I get a failure from heat or from the S curve I'll likely change at that time.

The spacer that Wild dog is talking about comes with the bracket kit. I have that installed. My issue is where the throttle runs back to the FW. It has a steep S turn and the cable hits the back edge of the throttle/mixture bracket. I think an adel clamp with 2-3 washers will solve this. Even a longer cable might have this issue. When I mean short, an extra 2-3" would be all would take.

I think that I will pull off the bracket plate and then put in an adel clamp to keep the throttle off the back edge of the bracket.

So once again, I am out to take something off that I put on earlier.

well, an adel clamp with 2 thick washers did the job. The bracket had to be pulled off to put in the adel clamp. Putting on the adel clamp was a challenge, but now the throttle cable is about 1/8" off the edge of the bracket.

Back