What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jacking RV14A main wheels

design4p

Hi.

Now finish building waiting for my paint slot - So started to build ancillaries.

Electric tow, jacks for future maintenance etc.

Has anyone got a design for lifting one of the main wheels.

John

ps my electric tow is based on the motor and wheels of an old mobility scooter off ebay.

I use a standard automotive floor jack, the lift is wide enough to catch and lift the main landing gear. This is mainly to work on one wheel at the time. Once lifted and wheel removed, I support the axle with blocks of wood.

Harbor Freight hydraulic cylinders made into jacks. Search the forum for photos or let me know and I can e-mail photos of mine. I also use cup and ball fittings from Bogert for a secure connection to the wing. :cool:

Get Bogert jack points x 2 (https://bogertaviation.com/products/rv-jack-pads)., make jack stands with harbor freight hydraulic jacks as previously mentioned. The Bogert jack points fit into the tie down fitting openings, and the "cup" fits perfectly on top of the hydraulic jack.

Jack stands I made:
IMG_0533.jpg

Jacking

I haven't done it on a 14, but so far any RV with round gear I've had good luck by putting a hose clamp on the tube and using that as I jack pad for a floor jack. Cheap and effective.

Richard Bogert made me a custom length of pipe from his jack kit up to a jack point screwed into the wing. I'm sure he has the measurements if you say you want a RV14 jack kit.

I would make the HF rig if I had time/inclination its a good solution too.

There is also a post here somewhere of a 4x4 on a bottle jack with a post cap that is threaded into the wing. Lots of good options.

Chocking the opposite wheel (and/or setting the brake) is essential!

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestions and the photos.

I'm in the UK and now sourcing my jack and ball joint.

Great Forum this is.

John

quick, easy, no new tools

With two people, one can take a slight squat position with the spine aligned along the spar, at a point where the dihedral makes this accessible.

Straighten the legs to easily raise the wing (from a "shallow" squat, it's easy to move silly amounts of weight.) Person two places a block beneath the lifted axle. One squats a bit less to lower the axle to the block, and exits from beneath the wing, smiling.

Repeat for the opposite side, and reverse to remove.

(If you're looking for an excuse to buy/build a new tool, disregard.)

Back