What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crotch seatbelt Question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I posted this on the rv-14 page, but I figure I will get more response here.

I purchased the Crow 5 point seat belt system. The end fitting which connects to the airframe that is provided by Crow is too long. It ends up pinching the webbing and thus makes it nearly impossible to put in the seat pan--if you want to put in all the screws.

I found a shorter end fitting at ACS. Although the new fitting is a better length, the hole in the fitting is 3/8", while the bolt is 5/16".

Questions:

1. is it OK just to install as is? The bolt will be tightened down, but the fitting can still "rattle" around.
2. it there a bushing that would slide into the hole and make a higher fit. If so, then where would you purchase?
3. I guess I could up size the hole to 3/8", but that is my least desirable way to do this.

If it's not one thing with this project, then it is another.

Thank in advance.

cheers

Many seatbelt attachment fittings use a small bushing to reduce the hole size and to allow the attachment fitting to swivel easier. The bushing should be slightly thicker than the fitting to accomplish this. My Piper Arrow had these, however I don't remember the exact size. It shouldn't be hard for a competent machinist to fab some up from bushing stock.

I replaced all my crow seat belt anchors. Those long ones with the huge holes are not convenient. I bought ones from summit racing and they work great.

You can also just drill a new hole on the crow part and grind off the extended nose. This will turn it into a regular triangular fitting.

Back