What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another sender resealing question

AN23

Well Known Member
Ok, I have both of the fuel quantity senders and both of the access plates out and cleaned up. Luckily, they were last installed with just the cork and rubber gaskets so they came out easy and were easy to clean up. I plan to follow everyone's advice and reinstall with no gaskets, just proseal. I'm also going to replace the phillips head screws with socket head cap screws. Now for the question.....should you use washers under the cap screw heads?

I've also ordered the Van's fuel pickup tubes to replace the slotted ones originally installed. A ground wire will also be installed from the sender to the airframe.

I didn't

I used NAS1352-08-8P socket hd screws instead of the philips hd screws, but didn't put washers under the head. From memory there wasn't much difference in the head diameter, and the screws are such a tight fit in the hole that I figured the bearing area under the socket head would be quite OK.

Others may have a differing thoughts.

washers are not required, but be sure to put pro seal on the screw head and threads before inserting.

Larry

I installed one external star lock washer under one socket head screw for good ground for the sender.

I personally prefer to use thin washers because I would rather have the bolt head turn against the washer than against the aluminum plate.

Back