What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Time Lapse Build Video - Equipment, Technique, etc.

A36Lee

Finally about ready to get going on my RV-8 build and would like to set up a time lapse to capture the work. I have searched the forum a fair amount but not finding much on how builders are setting up their time lapse recording.

How are you capturing time lapse of your project? What camera? How do you prevent forgetting to turn the thing on and off? What capture interval works best?

It would have been very complicated for me !!

During my -4 build I would have had to go from VHS video and 35mm film to digital age, my hair went from dark brown to mostly grey, my son went from 1 year old to 16, three different build locations, an ex-wife and a forever new wife, ohhh..it would have been a pain for me to do! I hope your build goes much quicker! My time lapse was by sharpie marker on paper calendars,and I have a stack of 15 of them.

Get a used GoPro. Has a time lapse mode and editing software.

Or use any other camera and record in ?real-time? and use video editing software to speed it up to convert to time lapse.

Just high level suggestions. Millions of ways to implement it.

Lee, beg pardon, but...

The most valuable commodity in the EAB game is time. Do the minimum logging necessary to meet the regulatory requirement, as interpreted by your local DAR. Spend your time building the airplane.

Lee, I have been using a DJI Osmo Pocket for my videos. It is a gimble type camera with a built in time lapse function and up to 4K 60 FPS recording.

Going from memory, the camera allows you to set record durations between 2-5 hours and I use a 2 second record interval. Since it records in time lapse mode, you only need to upload to your favorite video hosting platform or your own website.

Here is one of my time lapse vids with added music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB36tRqihns

The camera also has a "Motion Lapse" function which I use on some of my other videos.

I set the camera in various locations and control it remotely from my tablet.

As noted by others, it does take time to set up, record, download, edit, publish, upload, etc. plus there are numerous ways to capture and process the video.

What I've been doing is using crappy 4k action cams from amazon. I record real time then just speed up the video to ~20x on my laptop. Using the time lapse feature on the camera is ****. No sound, very sketchy frame rate.

Plus I like to have all the raw footage to go back and spot anything wrong I may have done when I find the 'ooops' things later.

Back