What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Sender Seal

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Hey guys, there is a 7 on the field that has a leak from where a rubber seal is being pushed out from underneath the fuel sender mounting plate outside the fuel tank. On the 14 we use proseal here. Is a rubber seal normal for this with the 7?

Going from memory here as I do not have the written instructions in front of me; I believe Vans recommends not installing that rubber gasket for electrical continuity reasons. They recommend tank sealant only. I used tank sealant; no gasket. (RV-7; tank finished this past summer.) I have pictures, (if that helps) I can email you if interested,

For many years the rubber seal was either not used or replaced when a leak started. Pro seal is used by most to replace the cover gasket and or the sender gasket. Has been discussed here on the forums for years.

Same think happened to my 17 yr old sender gasket. It was cracked from age and started to weep fuel. Replaced using proseal only and all is good. Also remover the cork gasket from the inspection plate. Had to remove it about a week later (don?t ask). A little heat from a heat gun softens the proseal and makes removal Very easy.

Back