What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antenna placement

RVdreamin

I am getting ready to start my electrical. I would first like to mount the antennas. On the top rear skin, I am planning to install the ELT antenna near the center bulkhead. I was going to mount GPS antenna on the top skin just aft of the baggage area near the bulkhead. I would like to mount the VHF radio antenna on the bottom skin underneath the baggage area and the transponder antenna underneath the seat near the spar. Anyone see any issues. I would like to have 2 VHF radio antennas, but not sure where to put an additional antenna.

VHF radio antennas under each seat

On the -14, Vans has two VHF radio antenna cut-outs, one under each seat. Maybe you can do the same and swap the the locations with the transponder antenna. Just a thought..

What is the best place to purchase these antennas? I also follow Bruce's site. It's excellent. Thx Bruce for the thorough documentation of your 9 build!

Deltapop Aviation

What is the best place to purchase these antennas? I also follow Bruce's site. It's excellent. Thx Bruce for the thorough documentation of your 9 build!

Try Don at Deltapop Aviation. He sells com & xpndr antennas.

I just went through the decision process for a second VHF antenna for my new Garmin GTR20 Com2. Having seen a few examples of off field landings that put the belly on the ground and completely disabled communications because the VHF antennas were on the belly, I thought it would be a good idea to put the second one on top. This might also help with transmit range and reception when attempting to obtain clearances when on the ground at more remote airports.

The only problem is that standard whip antennas intended for top-mounting look BUTT-UGLY no matter where you locate them on top of an RV because the angle conflicts with the RV’s elegant lines. By chance, I mocked up a BENT-WHIP antenna intended for mounting underneath and, lo and behold, it looked GREAT mounted just behind the bulkhead about midway between the luggage compartment and vertical stabilizer.

I bought two beautiful identical bent-tip “red-tip” antennas from Don at DeltaPop aviation, and will mount one on the top and use the other to replace the heavier and less beautiful one already installed on the belly of my 7A. Don told me that he knows of a number of top-mounted bent whips that work great, and his are lightweight and elegantly tapered from base to tip.There may be momentary intereference with my Waas GPS antenna mounted nearby, but only briefly when transmitting if at all. I’ll be using my GTN750 Com 1 for nearly all in-flight communications in any event, and that will be transmitting through the belly-mount antenna. I’m very happy with this solution.- Otis

Last edited:
+1 for Delta Pop antennas. About half the price a s certified and work as good or better. Have used them on three airplanes. Also, Don gives excellent service.

On my tip-up tail dragger, I mounted all the GPS antennas on the glairshield. Easy to wire and maintain.

The comm antenna is under the left seat, two machine screws through the spar web and two through a doubler.

Transponder antenna on the right side, just aft of the firewall and inboard of the fuel vent. The ADS-B antenna is in the same spot, only on the left side.

VOR antenna (Archer) is scheduled for the wing tip.

No long wire runs in the limited space through the spars and no interference issues.

Bottom antennas
ADB in, Com, Xpdr

2019071509421334-IMG_0685-XL.jpg

Top: Com 2, Comdant (com/GPS)

2019071509421334-IMG_0684-XL.jpg

It's a drag...

I am getting ready to start my electrical. I would first like to mount the antennas. On the top rear skin, I am planning to install the ELT antenna near the center bulkhead. I was going to mount GPS antenna on the top skin just aft of the baggage area near the bulkhead. I would like to mount the VHF radio antenna on the bottom skin underneath the baggage area and the transponder antenna underneath the seat near the spar. Anyone see any issues. I would like to have 2 VHF radio antennas, but not sure where to put an additional antenna.

Hey Jimmy,
On both my RV's and my HR2 I wanted as little as possible sticking out in the breeze as every little bit helps when it comes to drag.
That said, as mentioned above, GPS antennas can be mounted inside, on glare shield, a shelf in back, under cowling out front, etc. I never mounted my ELT antenna externally on my RV4, HR2 or RV6"X" as it works great inside and is one less drag coefficient and less "ugly". I mounted my RV6"X" Comm antenna on the belly between the gear legs as its a bit less drag but mainly it's more aesthetically pleasing IMHO.

On my RV4 I mounted my GPS antenna under the canopy, my Bob Archer Comm antenna inside the left wingtip, my transponder antenna inside the other wingtip therefore making it a complete, inside job.:)

Good luck!
V/R
Smokey

RV6-X Comm

ELT

Last edited:
Back