What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ASA EZ Cool Cowl Flap Success

219PB

Well Known Member
I just wanted to give a pirep on Antisplat Aero's EZ cool cowl flap. My RV-6A was plagued with adequate cooling on hot day climbouts. My cylinder head temperature would try to climb over 400F on a 130 knot climb. All of the CHT's were within 10F of each other. The baffling was checked by myself and others at the airport and no defects were found. The oil temps were staying at 185F during this time as well.

There are alot of options posted by good people on this forum and I opted to install the cowl flaps due to their ease of installation and proven history.

Because it was just as easy to install one as it was two, two were installed. They were integrated into my VPX power relays which also allowed the use of the last unused button on my control stick.

Results were a 13-15F drop in CHT temperatures. It has helped enough that I can keep the temperatures below 400. Normally I try to keep my CHT's below 380, so this extra relief in heat loads allows me to manage the CHT's better.

Anyway, thanks to another good product by Allan

Back