What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing tip light wiring

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I currently have the wires supplied with the kit for the wing tip nav lights installed. I will be using AeoLED lights and the instructions with the lights say shielded wires. Are most people running shielded wiring instead of standard wires?

I am estimating that 10' per side would be the correct length to make it from the wing tip to the wing root. Good estimate? I was thinking that 12' per side would be good to be safe. Wings are ay hangar so I don't know the exact length.

Ditto

Same lights, factory harness and Archer Nav Antenna in the right wingtip. Not a peep in 125 hours.

Same as others; flawless with factory wiring; just make sure the ground from the tip light goes to the ground of the landing light; both those run together to the wing root. No grounds out on the wing.

Of course a friend brought up the potential issue of static right after I installed the factory wire harnesses. I assume y'all that aren't seeing any problems are running LED landing lights too.

I have the AeroLED wing tip lights and am going to put the AeroLED Sunspot landing lights in there too. I put the same lights in my Husky, which came with regular landing and taxi lights, and have had no static with them. I'm guessing the combination of the NAV and landing lights won't cause a problem but now is the time to address it if necessary since the wing skins have not gone on yet.

I always recommend a three #20 conductor shielded wire for these nav/stones. The three wires are nav, strobe and sync. The cable shield provides ground. Has worked well for the last two RVs.

Stein sells this wire.

Carl

I guess I assumed the RG-400 cable had adequate shielding to negate the need for a shielded harness. At any rate, all my lights are AeroLED including the landing/taxi lights. Additionally, those lights wig-wag at higher air speeds so even at cruise they are continuously flashing. Comm and Nav reception is excellent in all phases of flight.

I guess I assumed the RG-400 cable had adequate shielding to negate the need for a shielded harness. At any rate, all my lights are AeroLED including the landing/taxi lights. Additionally, those lights wig-wag at higher air speeds so even at cruise they are continuously flashing. Comm and Nav reception is excellent in all phases of flight.

At risk of hijacking this thread did you have to add any wires to get the wig wag to work? I'm not 100% clear on what all the wires in the stock harness do especially how the grounding of the lights is wired. It may say in the plans somewhere but I haven't seen that yet.

Wig-wag

All the lighting magic comes from the GAD-27. No extra wires (I believe the sync wire comes in the harness). Paragraph 35.4.33 in the G3X configuration manual to set up the wig wag.

At the danger of stoking the fires here, I'm gonna suggest that the AeroLED diagram is the conservative way of dealing with a problem that can be dealt with in more than one way.

The AeroLED way is to shield the strobe circuit, and bring the circuit ground to the firewall. This is a belt-&-suspenders method that has been used in the aerospace industry for a long time.

If you make sure you follow some of the other standard conventions, you can get away without shielding the strobe wiring, as some other here have stated.

The big thing is to not use "local grounding" on the strobes. Bring the AeroLED grounds back to the firewall. And to make SURE you follow instructions for wiring the intercom, all audio circuits, and all logic circuits.

Back