What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Epoxy / Fuel Compatibility

Blizzard

Is there a problem putting a small dab of epoxy on the float arm where it meets the sender unit just as a little more insurance it won't come out? Don't want to do it if it will react or soften while always being submersed in fuel. Thanks

Is there a problem putting a small dab of epoxy on the float arm where it meets the sender unit just as a little more insurance it won't come out? Don't want to do it if it will react or soften while always being submersed in fuel. Thanks

Probably not, but I used some .025 safety wire there. A local A&P had some fine safety wire and I got 2 ft of .020 and .016.

Typically, as I recall, aircraft with "wet wings" use vinyl ester resin rather than epoxy. I don't believe epoxy can maintain its properties after long term exposure to fuel.

Instead of guessing about other adhesives, you could probably use proseal. But 1) I've not heard of one of these coming out and 2) safety wire seems more reasonable - if you need to replace the sender, you can remove and keep the old arm.

Typically, as I recall, aircraft with "wet wings" use vinyl ester resin rather than epoxy. I don't believe epoxy can maintain its properties after long term exposure to fuel.

Boy, I bet the owner of my Long-EZ is going to be surprised to hear that!!

Obviously it depends on the type of epoxy. All the airplanes Burt Rutan built were done so with Safe-t-poxy including the fuel tanks.

Back