What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder gust lock

WingnutWick

Well Known Member
Hello,

I am looking to see if anyone has any good gust lock option for the RV-6A? The air gizmo one I use on my 8 doesn't do the trick with the 6 and gets loose and scuffs the rudder. Looking to see what people out there recommend!

Thank you!

Cheers

Charles

Gust Lock

I drilled a hole in the rudder stop and the rudder control horn. I then bent a 3/16? SS rod into a U shape, but flat on top. I drilled a hole in one end of the rod and used a clip to hold the pin in place and hold a ?remove before flight? flag.
I don?t believe I have a picture and will not be at the hangar until Saturday.

The Anti Splat Aero works wonderful on my -7A. Yours should work the same unless you have the floor mounted rudder pedals.

Has spent many nights out in gusty winds when traveling. Continues to work flawless.

I have a fixture I made of PVC and pipe insulation that fits over the rudder and vertical stab. It has worked well for years and does a pretty good job of preventing leveraged point loads on the airframe. That's my concern about the locks which use the rudder stop and rudder horn.

In-cockpit rudder gust lock

I made up a gust lock from PVC pipe for my -12. Not my original idea, there have been several posts in the forum and maybe something like this could be made up to fit the -6.

Advantages: It's almost impossible to take off with it in place. Cheap and easy to make.
Won't stress rudder horns or stops. If it's gusty, you can put it on before leaving the cockpit.

Disadvantage: Fairly large piece to put in baggage area.

CTT_4038-L.jpg

I copied the wooden one on Van's demo rv-14a, made out of the Al channel used to set the canopy width while building. A leather patch glued to the carpet makes for a fairly tight snug fit

Last edited:
I made one similar to Tony?s for my 12 but it?s two separate pieces, one for each pedal. Much easier to store behind the seat.

Jack

Seat belt around the stick to lock in the elevators and ailerons. Now get a bunge cord and capture a rudder cable at about the middle of the seat, capture the other cable pulling them together as far as you can tightly.

You can?t accidentally leave them on and fly. The AntiSplat works great in my -10, and surely his -6 would work well, it is only about 500 times more expensive then a bunge

I drilled a hole in the rudder stop and the rudder control horn. I then bent a 3/16? SS rod into a U shape, but flat on top. I drilled a hole in one end of the rod and used a clip to hold the pin in place and hold a ?remove before flight? flag.
I don?t believe I have a picture and will not be at the hangar until Saturday.

I did as Skid, but used short piece of 1? aluminum and inserted bolts locked in place as pins with a flag. That and a aileron/elevator lock by Planepoop.com, you are good, and under 2lbs. In put in every time outside...quick easy.

Back