What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ONE WEEK WONDER

Cupla questions on the one week wonder...

Who owns the plane?

Who is eligible for the repairman's cert?

Who owns the plane?
Who is eligible for the repairman's cert?

Airplane is owned by Experimental Aircraft Assn Inc.
I suspect that the EAA has sufficient A&Ps that a repairman certificate is not needed.

Is EAA going to sell the plane?

From a previous article:

EAA Online said:
After the fly-in, the RV-12iS will be “very, very carefully inspected” by the EAA aircraft maintenance department, and following its first flight and mandated 40-hour fly off, it will be painted in livery conceived for the project by Scheme Designers. Though paint will cover the signatures of the hundreds of builders, their names are recorded digitally for posterity. The RV will then replace the Zenith One Week Wonder, which is currently on a tour of EAA chapters and aviation events, and later it will join the EAA flying club in Oshkosh to help EAA staffers earn their pilot certificates.

Interesting...If the article is correct, I guess they are registering it E/A-B, not ELSA.

That is correct. Further evidence is that the "builder" is "Experimental Aircraft Assn Inc".
If it were ELSA, "Vans Aircraft Inc" would be listed as the builder.

That is correct. Further evidence is that the "builder" is "Experimental Aircraft Assn Inc".
If it were ELSA, "Vans Aircraft Inc" would be listed as the builder.
Unless someone just made a mistake. Mine is E-LSA with the name of the builder listed as the manufacturer. I would assume, though, that today DARs -- and especially the DAR in this case -- would know better.

Unless someone just made a mistake. Mine is E-LSA with the name of the builder listed as the manufacturer. I would assume, though, that today DARs -- and especially the DAR in this case -- would know better.

No mistake. The EAA "One Week Wonder" RV-12 is indeed certificated as amateur-built.

Yep, Someone made a mistake. Your registration/certification is in error.

"For kit built experimental light-sport aircraft, the kit manufacturer shall be listed as the manufacturer."

Last edited:
Not surprising really....

The U.S. registration database contains records for at least 10 or so Experimental Amateur Built RV's of a variety of different models where Van's Aircraft Inc. is listed as the builder :rolleyes:, so I imagine the error can happen in both directions.

Yep, Someone made a mistake. Your registration/certification is in error.

"For kit built experimental light-sport aircraft, the kit manufacturer shall be listed as the manufacturer."

Yes, that was my point... DARs make mistakes sometimes. Except for Mel, of course. :)

I remember once, Joe & I thought we had made a mistake, but we were wrong!

no mistake! During the plane's first flight, I confirmed with a Van's staffer that it is indeed E-AB. I thought for sure it would be E-LSA .. it certainly could be.. its the same model/design as an approved S-LSA. I actually wondered if it would be S-LSA because the build was supervised by "the factory".

So because it is E-AB, the Mfg would be EAA.

The real question is why isn't it E-LSA...and for that, I have no idea...

Just a guess, but could it be that maybe the kit is not yet certified?

Has Vans shipped final kits for the new model?

Just a guess, but could it be that maybe the kit is not yet certified?

Has Vans shipped final kits for the new model?

The RV-12iST that was on display at Van?s booth is the first certified S-LSA
example so the 12iS is now eligible for certification as an E-LSA, but the EAA chose to do E-AB.

Back