What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show Me Your Workshop......!

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Everyone was describing their drill storage, so here is mine - oh it's in the workshop btw.

Had an old building there before, Wife wanted a studio, pension pot delivered so she got her studio - it is parked above my workshop :D

https://youtu.be/hFczMduyTZg

39365359545_0d23f4a8c9_b.jpg

This should be interesting thread - thanks for the first posts.

Great idea with the blue curtains!

Doug
Seattle area,

0_A73_D24_A-4_DB0-4325-_A44_C-_B9_B4_EF9_AF559.jpg

Taking a pause on the fuselage as I need to prime the last few bottom skins before final rivet. Used the time to rough fit the empennage fairings.

One of my better investments - 9? ceilings in the basement.

Carl

Standard 2 car garage.

l67l4QefkXe46JxyrsEy96ip20nRv155CkWIAqKPIkq3SFpHfhRq4iuAAQ4mQnLR2nym1_OsJg4WP9p0PeoQUxUvKMG8w0llG4G1SglGpT9CNId5BXsotTG3akOlZwYQ6A_3dEjO1kx-pJI2WC8UQ_p-3h2CA1pihvABy0QVFD7RTACPHIIu3qmq-6G65rKsP8Q-9V7eY3z6MebERg_7P3LfNAnrHqfp7LXL9CZE0NO3ZdGYmU8vTDCTFJfxsKstA2xhaUr8EMnDysrpaUUP47EApZbuMyacjneUKuiN8BrDluM4A9CXU_JgsguvLNPSNm3zYYyVWPxnPhzRGeE8MmRFVzCseA_wuHqaG_9gybKUhTEbYw43IIPd5tASLTca1SlZY82LWqZRC7zwtz0gybBfovqCf5tIoytWFMvffAUq5nL2BVrJ0dlpuPwUeBDh3FoZ2YiDH0DQ9nudMPx9H1EX0xkxm8cUN20UdJ6Lj-NBDuKIikqZMT0EIh1prXOPkDBlqsxP7RYSxR7pZ9Cd5KHXlTFXbmOwK6ilqn8d3wrRgqBeLdcpF9s60KzX9Swwmm7NVIsAgfjFPG37CAzi6R82UrLjPYRNT7SuIQA=w1251-h704-no

Believe it or not but I can move everything over to the left against the wall and everything fits and still have room for the wife's Town and Country parked on the right.

Weasel,
Love the floor! Is that some sort of tile, linoleum, vinyl or did you get creative with duct tape or something else? But the real question is... are those numbers accurate or just for show! :D

Numbers are accurate and necessary for making a position call whenever moving an airplane into or out of the shop area. Floor coating is epoxy. We striped it with masking tape and then painted with a white epoxy.

I tried to post four photos to the previous post and the forum software would not accept the 4th photo so I'm adding it as a follow on post. This is probably a good sign because the source code seems to indicate that the forum is trying to test the size of photo files and modifying them to a size that accommodates most user screens. Assuming I didn't screw something up, limiting a post to three photos is a small price to pay for auto photo size editing so we don't have to use the horizontal scroll bar to read someone's post.

Who knows, one of these days we might be able to upload photos directly :)

shop4.jpg

Hope springs eternal in the heart of man :) I swear I saw some HTML code last night that looked like coding that resized photo files to a prescribed size. Sorry, my bad.

Brand new:
3vz_HaPUsPPb1QyGpX3qcQEMETQWjpKLdH5zNZ86eegRZR1jl4dXV2g9YfV6BAhZ6K1V4LvHbbQHLcxtLiO-laLmUsIX3RnrbStCz8skhUAHckeHH-8duvDWvUaeFrPybECIIQENx9VQlof9zZXTjAGYw_z3h5qw-uHAGkjRYKW8a0RuwwP9Nq75cmqFN08f334bbemImJU5KpEnOvOF_75XwZzGBV4m8IqXWpOcBA84nok6hPZSSfvbRSFOAxZi7IOpE9BoYNHEVk3S903LuJr_3boaZ2O3rBNhmVJt2q_PBktCJ-9ajf-aVJeXXr5zJwXBtNy6dnboNlK9cGFg41xHw4mLQ_oQamlpEZbENsbgQrDtc7ivjs0pc9dkmB-5xRAN4fYdlnH0G50CN6_mm917A2cza7ZX-lBRc6AaaXX019wRhrNzE2Lgq2LqEduJqxdqLAsaM__vTrIELOHTbmLpG1CLA2Bs0CiM_yJ6mA7p_AYMKE5e4XFPdqbhHlMT6cOrZ3IH6_ZZ5KB18mOPtr2YF1C5zWlAS5eO-Ae9RYQTgqMRyEgVE3zzLL4f59nAvO1IYoCujYJ4gU6KOQcEAuUj5XAb310sBxTtAXY=w800-h451-no

4 years later, a nearly complete airplane rolls out:

usI1nu8ySt8H-9iWYaLBQbiSaD5xq3jE_hPkZGiwJyuBmUpIY0c-ioc5YKSCcz9jCe0DOCWKhpoqTw25YEAC8HlqDLHe-5Mz8XE49qfJVrHa70o-qkf3ZMlGL_YXajZZGZLtu3Nt12O-IKhtHsWk2YAkNtvlEwN9koiR0YM7p6hW3enYMakv622O_BKPmcbgRqunMVYXKffNCxxb0AVUnevoz5QqzT2xqX4d520QUEFX_7cLObe1coFm5dTapOmY7XRSxWMB6WU0Ru84Smgek5jMxGdgOh-duM2yKmzHMGolbqxPb8cU3oCmrEBsLN9MCIeN8JWbEy8j0LdFS13LkvlgxdB-_K-PF0b6mJOuHqJI0PbDofiVdAXuyZDZT1Y0on1WGz1xBP9OHUuhzaV57PEhn3dPXpeprxgHQzHqldWo3HfcP5QrFqTu-tOkmuqHdj6aGA9Zp5RcnhSttVHgoQZi9xZ-vZzE0uRptYTpKiwvaHd5HzRpwdkRvTeEFcHTqXCuPLq1DEHckT8x6LcUUHlLd7UjOmfTWlzitfot1vpLViGi6buGAMOA-VvmPpnfic9mV5tm8PIImhEpRRDJVnOpWnGDrmw8aBb8yUuoyZ1nD2LQ3XGxk1fwR9qJUIxjGkKAfFX3-ok2RZZMo04Ulvqb8v4jcbXa=w824-h568-no

I sure miss how clean and shiny the shop was when it was new.

I'm sure envious of you fellows with clean, uncluttered and super organized work space. Somehow, I have never been able to get there :)

I'm sure envious of you fellows with clean, uncluttered and super organized work space. Somehow, I have never been able to get there :)
Come see mine, you'll feel much better. I can't post pictures, the camera looks away in horror.

Two car garage

Started like this,

2m4wym1.jpg

54d2ix.jpg

Looked more like this towards the ending.
15d2psz.jpg

Yes an airplane can be built in a two car garage.
The wife kept her car in the garage until the start of the fuse. Then she lost it for about a year and a half.

Absolutely you can do it in your garage. Here is our before and now:

Apr 28 2017 (Day 1) and Feb 23 2018 (Now)

ode.png
odv.png

[the doors open mess up the lighting, sorry]

There are a lot of beautiful and roomy workshops being posted. I don't have one of those!
Working with what I have, barely a 2 car garage and 2 young kids with LOTS of stuff. I figure out how to make it work and will build as long as possible in my garage before I move to the airport for final assembly.

Last edited:
I built my first airplane, a Long-EZ, in a one car garage and STILL parked my 280ZX in it!! I developed a hoist system to pull the fuselage up enough so the car would fit under it.

Anything is possible if you want it bad enough.

Everyone was describing their drill storage, so here is mine - oh it's in the workshop btw.

Had an old building there before, Wife wanted a studio, pension pot delivered so she got her studio - it is parked above my workshop :D

https://youtu.be/hFczMduyTZg

Mike,
I'm really sorry to inform you that there has been a gross ordering screwup. You are supposed to get two WINGS, not two fuselages with the order from Vans. :D

And BTW, is that a Myford with a custom cross slide stuffed in the corner? I have a 10" QCGB Atlas that is in pristine shape in my shop. Envious of the extended cross slide table. :rolleyes: Can't use rear side tooling with the short slide on the stock Atlas.

Last edited:
Mike,
I'm really sorry to inform you that there has been a gross ordering screwup. You are supposed to get two WINGS, not two fuselages with the order from Vans. :D

And BTW, is that a Myford with a custom cross slide stuffed in the corner? I have a 10" QCGB Atlas that is is in pristine shape in my shop. Envious of the extended cross slide table. :rolleyes: Can't use rear side tooling with the short slide on the stock Atlas.

I know, but they gave me discount !

Engineering exercise for my buddy, keeps the workshop loaded before the 14 fuselage arrives from my build partner.

The Myford was 'acquired' by my buddy from a client he looked after for years. It had nearly every accessory with it, most still in wax paper. Now set up, levelled and working fine after we put a new motor on it. His Bro has an Atlas at his big workshop if we need any other stuff doing.

The Fobco Star pillar drill is over 60 years old - a beautiful piece. Everything else is relatively new, apart from us :rolleyes:

Back