What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose wheel fairing with Beringer Wheel

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
My nose wheel fairing came out a little bit different than the plans describe. After getting a best fit with good alignment front/back the front portion had to have the notch cut about 5/8 more forward, and there was interference between the strut and the front fairing such that I had to cut semicircles wider than the main slot to permit the wheel to turn full throw.

The wheel is a Michelin 5.00-5" which I think is the same size as the stock tire that Van's sells?

There wasn't any alignment that would permit the fairing to get under the interference of the weldment where the strut transitions to the vertical round tube. Well, it might have, but it would have thrown the tail of the fairing way high.

Functionally I don't think it matters; just makes a gap between the strut fairing and the wheel fairing for all to see. I don't think I can remake the strut fairing to have a wider bell at the bottom to cover it.

When I look at the plans they show that weldment in about the same location as where mine is, so it seems that this sort of relief cut is probably something others have had to do? Curious how it went everyone else.....

Last edited:
Also used the Beringer wheels and Michelin tires ... my overall holes were a good bit larger than the instructions required .. I trimmed to the correct gaps, however, I didn't measure the final dimensions. It turned out good and looks great finished, just trim to fit :p

I suspect the weldments might not be the same for every assembly. I wish it was perfect but at least I?m not alone. It will fly..... so much for that 0.05 knots

Just cut my nose pant last night. Had exactly the same problem. I do have the Beringer wheels but I don’t think that caused the issue. Don’t think I can do anything to avoid the extra cuts to clear the weldments so I guess it will need to do. Buying new parts won’t help.

I am in the same boat. The question I have is can I set the distance of the fairing top to the top of the wheel smaller than recommended. The suggested spacer is 21/32". This will set the fairing very high as others suggested and will require significant trimming to allow the wheel to hit full throw.

I assume that what I should do is get the tires to hit the required dimensions and set the fairing. Then widen the hole to allow the wheel to turn full in both directions. SO leave too narrow, and then widen.

I closed some of the gap with an aluminum piece riveted to the rear fairing. Big hole to clear the flange.

Attachments

• 17530F3C-D461-45C4-AD30-D80087F4A462.jpg
    17530F3C-D461-45C4-AD30-D80087F4A462.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
I feel better seeing that picture. I think that I had to extend the front hole by at least an inch and had to open up the lower hole to fit the wheel. I think that I have it fitted now after a whole bunch of cutting.

Instead of aluminum I got inspired and built up a fiberglass tongue out of some cloth with flox on top. Sanded it to shape and now it's part of the rear piece.

I'm not sure why this happens with the Beringer wheel because dimensionally it seems similar to the stock wheel. I wonder if it is really a form problem or I fit it wrong. But either way now it is true and has no interference; looks good. I figured the clearance on top and on the sides of the tire was the most important thing and made the rest fit around that.

I don't think I would want to take that nose wheel fairing onto a grass strip though. Unless it was the shortest most groomed field ever? My plane will only see concrete.

I had to punt on the spacer on the top of the wheel. 21/32 was way too much and I would never have gotten the fairing in place. My guess it is half that width. Hopefully this won't be an issue.

Dang, wish I would’ve read this before grinding away on the nose fairing for the last couple days. Agree that the spacer on top of the tire is too much for everything to fit. Would love to know if anyone else tried a smaller top spacer and had issues with clearance during landing.

Back