What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Seal

jgoehl

What has been used to water seal the canopy on 7A tip up, where it closes down in front, behind the firewall?

Type of gap seal/

Thanks in advance, Jeff

Go find your pile of scraps and use some of the bent aluminum angle used in various stiffeners. Use the material to make a couple of these.

IMG_4971-M.jpg

IMG_4972-M.jpg

IMG_4973-M.jpg

IMG_4974-M.jpg

After you get the front top skin riveted in, dive under the panel and fill in the remaining gaps with some proseal (I used a small syringe for this work). I made a bunch of "mini" angle pieces to fill in the scalloping on the subpanel bulkhead tabs and glued them in place with proseal. I used Van's provided Bulb seal across the flange for keeping water out. No leaks so far, and this summer it was tested by the downpours during Oshkosh.

Bruce, Thanks very much for your posting. I just "invented" some little angles to fill the "Vee" gaps this morning and was wondering if they would work. You clearly invented them first!!

Very timely, thanks again!

Last edited:
Posted this fix back in 2012. Looks like Bruce did it during construction. Mine was in Phase 2 but I had hedged towards closing that gap during construction (meaning the seal support gap was much smaller than the plans).

A significant leak in and IFR rainstorm caused me to do this.

Phase 2 fix

Tipup Fwd Canopy Seal

Bruce,

I'm trying to follow your lead here once again. I'm wondering if I can fabricate and install the two little aluminum pieces while the canopy is removed? Will they interfere with the installation and removal of the canopy or is it easy enough to avoid them?

Back