What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cleveland Master cyinder Issue

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Figured I speak to the brain trust.

I have a 6a with Cleveland floor mounted brakes. I recently replaced by pads at the conditional as I noticed the less braking power. (simple enough....)

When replacing in the pads I decided to check the brake reservoir and found ZERO fluid in it. So I ended up looking under the panel and saw some air in the in the lines.

At that point I decided to bleed the brakes/refill.

After replacing the pads and bleeding the brakes I did a test taxi and one brake wasn't gripping as well as the other.... ok, at that point I am thinking the pads need to wear in.

Let the plane site and now I am seeing a puddle of fluid by the tire on the opposite brake.... and I know I made certain to tighten up the brake bleeder valve. I also looked under the panel and there is a huge air bubble.

I'm not sure if I need to replace the bleeder valves and rebuild the master cylinders so I want to get some advise before I start pulling things apart.

Thanks,
D

When you removed the old pads, did the brake piston come out or almost out? Is it possible you rolled the O ring that's on that piston? Or put the piston back in backwards (O ring should be as far from pad as possible)?

Was the "air bubble" you saw in the supply line or the pressure line?

And what is a "conditional?"

The conditional inspection.

I am not sure if the bubble was in the supply. It looked like it was the line which connected the pilot to co pilot brakes but would need to check.

Hey bob, I will pull the calipers this weekend. I will def check that this weekend.

Thanks,

Dan

new o rings

Some new "O" rings for the wheel cylinders are only a couple of bucks each, we upgraded ours to Viton while we had everything apart. Viton is better for high temps.

So I need to order those thru vans or ACS?

Also, how do I know if I need to rebuild by my master cylinders?

Thanks,
D

Wheel cylinders

So I need to order those thru vans or ACS?

Also, how do I know if I need to rebuild by my master cylinders?

Thanks,
D

We got our Viton "O" rings from the local industrial supplier that sells bearings, seals, belts etc. They measured the old O ring and matched it up to a new standard generic part.

Do you mean wheel (slave) cylinders, rather than "master" maybe, because this thread has been discussing the leaking wheel caliper? But either would need rebuilding or replacing typically if it is leaking or stuck. Often a wheel caliper can start to leak after putting in new pads and moving the piston. And then the new pads get covered in brake fluid, so IMHO it is worth cleaning the area and doing the O rings while everything is apart, because they degrade with age and use anyway.

Last edited:
Likely your caliper O-ring is leaking. It might become a square shape due to higher temps vs round. Replace it, rebleed and keep rolling :)

Thanks Vlad, Will check Friday.

Also, pardn my ignorance, I have been calling it a "conditional" inspection for years. Yes, I meant "condition" inspection.

D

Back