What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

W-413 and W-414 aileron brackets priming?

CubedRoot

Well Known Member
Hey all,
I am finishing up the aileron brackets on my -7, and I noticed the plans calls out to be very careful of the clearances between the two plates that make up the aileron brackets. Typically, I have been spraying AKZO as my primer, but I did not want to risk my novice spraying capabilities on these parts, so I did alumaprep33 and then alodine on ALL of the aileron bracket parts.

This way the mating surfaces between the two plates would have a coating of alodine and no clearance issues. Now, I did spray some self etching primer on the backside of the angle aluminum since we don't have to worry about clearance issues there.

Here's a blog on how I assembled the brackets so you can get a better idea of what I am doing: https://theskunkwerx.com/rv7/riveting-the-aileron-brackets/

Now, my question is, now that I have these things assembled, should I go ahead and spray AKZO on them (masking the bearings of course) while they are off the wing? Or would it be OK to leave the aldodined since alodine itself can prevent corrosion?

Brackets

They are exposed. I recommend spraying them. Pay close attention to the outboard brackets. One of the rivet shop heads comes very close to the aileron. Some builders reverse that one rivet or install it double flush.

Yeah, I was wondering why Vans has us put the flush head on the outer side of that outboard bracket. I've already got these rivets set, so I'll just have to see how close it is when I mount the ailerons.

Back