What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing lighting kit in a Classic - wiring question

Dgamble

Well Known Member
This is an older RV-12 - serial number 284. Fuse and Finish Kit would have been built in 2011/2012.

It has a Skyview.

I've been struggling with the wiring as I attempt to (finally) upgrade from the old "tabs" connections at the wing roots while simultaneously installing the lighting kit.

As it stands today, here are the wires available to me at the wing roots:

Right wing:
Ylw/Blue: landing light steady
Ylw: landing light pulse (or vice-versa - left my notes in the hangar)
Wht: dead wire with continuity to to left wing (I believe this to be WH-B184)
Org/Blk: always hot when Master is on

Left wing:
Ylw/Red: Hot when either Nav or Nav/Strobe is on
Brn/Ylw: stall warning
Wht: dead wire with continuity to to right wing (I believe this to be WH-B184)
Org/Blk: always hot when Master is on

I am a the point where I will be installing the WH-P740 (Strobe Sync Wire) which is in effect a straight shot from Nav light to Nav light.

Ylw/Red is Nav Power for the left wing, and I think the purpose of the WN-B184 is to carry Nav Power through the fuselage and over to the right wing.

What I seem to be missing is a Strobe power wire, nor have I found a purpose for, or an ID for, the always-hot Org/Blk wire.

Is the Org/Blk wire for strobe power, and if so, should it always be hot? That would beg the question of the need for a Nav/Strobe position on the switch.

If that is the case, I can live with it, but I would like to know if there is something wrong with my wiring.

I'd also double check what color wires are attached to your Strobe switch on the back... see if one of them is orange and white, or what colors are they?

Last edited:
Dave, orn/blk is audio power it doesn’t belong in this connector. Your missing wht/yel for the strobe power.

Below is section 31B page 17. This is where that wire should go, I suspect you will find your missing strobe wire here on pin #1
I'll check that first thing tomorrow - I would have never thought to look there!

Back