What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Video of my 6A gear movement on ruff taxi area

Sheldon, just a curious question: do you hear, from inside the cockpit, the squeaking/creaking sound, as the mains bounce over the bumps?

What I could hear on the video was exactly how mine sounded when the main's sockets needed grease. I pulled the legs and put more grease in the socket, noise gone.

Interesting you mention the noise... I do hear noise when outside, pulling/pushing the plane around or out/into the hanger. Yes, "squeaking/creaking" sounds.
Don't think I can hear it inside the plane with the engine running and the headsets on.
Greasing the leg sockets next condition inspection will be on my list. Thanks Alex for the idea.
I found it interesting to see just how much the gear flexes back and forth. Even though I viewed other videos of gear behavior, I was shocked to see mine wiggle like that. I will be making another one day showing them during take off and landing.

Sheldon

Sheldon, don't wait too long to remove and re-grease those legs. I had about 200 hours total time when I started hearing it, particularly when taxiing on grass. When I removed the legs, I had some difficulty, as there was fretting already going on. I've not had any more problems in 1500 hours now, but I put a large glob of grease in the narrowed region between the ground features of the leg. It must act as a "reservoir" for the grease. I've had the legs out about two more times since then, no issues.

Thanks for that info Alex, I do hear some noise when taxiing over rough areas. I have never had my main gear legs out. I have removed my NLG to inspect the bolt and condition of the socket and gear leg with no defects noted.

hope this isnt too old but ...

Hello all. Im having a sever right side shudder on taxi or landing. I also have the squeaking sound.

In the video I see your wheel shuddering. Did it transfer to the whole airplane? Did greasing the leg socket help/

Thanks in advance

Would anti-seize work better? (I don't know)

That's what I use on my motorcycle axle to make sure I can remove it at the next maintenance interval.........

Back