What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I just started smoking - and loving it!

Looks great Brian! I have just started smoking myself and its FUN! That looks like Montgomery Field, I'm surprised they don't have some rule about smoking around there, matter of fact, I'm surprised California allows it anywhere!

Looks great Brian! I have just started smoking myself and its FUN! That looks like Montgomery Field, I'm surprised they don't have some rule about smoking around there, matter of fact, I'm surprised California allows it anywhere!

It's not MYF, it's the practice area off the coast of Palos Verdes. I didn't know there's any particular rules about where you can or cannot smoke...

I've seen it in a lot of places including our practice area and even low passes over the runway at various airports.

Yes, it's expensive, but fun! I'll need to get the barrel size. :D

I just got done installing my smoke system (from Smoke System Helper) and had a chance to test it out yesterday. I'm very happy with the results and in one word, it's great FUN!!!

For you serious aerobatic guys, don't judge me too hard. I was more concerned about how my smoke looked than doing technically perfect figures. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nds-Fq9NeTc&t=9s&ab_channel=qualityeyedoc
Hi Brian, nice job! I have Smoking Airplanes in my RV-8 but am building a 4. Did you put your system in the baggage area, and did you build a refill port on the side of the fuselage? What tank size? Looking for some ideas while I still have it down to open floor and back. My intention was to do a temporary and quick disconnect behind the back seat, run the line up under the floor and two nozzles (one to each side) to the Vetterman 4 pipe exhaust.

Hi Brian, nice job! I have Smoking Airplanes in my RV-8 but am building a 4. Did you put your system in the baggage area, and did you build a refill port on the side of the fuselage? What tank size? Looking for some ideas while I still have it down to open floor and back. My intention was to do a temporary and quick disconnect behind the back seat, run the line up under the floor and two nozzles (one to each side) to the Vetterman 4 pipe exhaust.

I got the 4 gallon tank, but would have preferred the 3 gallon (I'm a bit obsessed about not carrying any extra weight). The tank is mounted in the baggage area and I'll try to get a photo posted. If I had to do it all over again, I would have done aluminum tubing under the floor instead of the flexible rubber hose that came with the kit, which I ran under the canopy rail to the firewall. I put the regulator valve up front so that I can adjust while in flight. This will allow me to fine tune it by having another plane fly next to me and give me feedback as I make adjustments. I have the quick disconnect kit, the tank mounted pump kit and the inverted vent kit (all additional to the basic system). I don't have it set up to refill from the outside.

Thanks for the shoutout to smoke-system-helper.com. In my short time as owner I've sent systems and parts all over the world to a wide array of applications. Our system is being used by the El Salvador Air Force on their T-37s to a Kitfox in Finland and everything in between. Thank again for your purchase....great looking video and smoke.

Smoke looks very good - how many gallons/minute are you pumping?

I seem to be burning about 1/2 a gallon per minute and the valve is set at 3/4 turns out from fully closed as recommended. I'll do some fine tuning soon to get it as lean as possible while not sacrificing smoke quality.

Thanks for the shoutout to smoke-system-helper.com. In my short time as owner I've sent systems and parts all over the world to a wide array of applications. Our system is being used by the El Salvador Air Force on their T-37s to a Kitfox in Finland and everything in between. Thank again for your purchase....great looking video and smoke.

Thanks for a great system!

I got the 4 gallon tank, but would have preferred the 3 gallon (I'm a bit obsessed about not carrying any extra weight). The tank is mounted in the baggage area and I'll try to get a photo posted. If I had to do it all over again, I would have done aluminum tubing under the floor instead of the flexible rubber hose that came with the kit, which I ran under the canopy rail to the firewall. I put the regulator valve up front so that I can adjust while in flight. This will allow me to fine tune it by having another plane fly next to me and give me feedback as I make adjustments. I have the quick disconnect kit, the tank mounted pump kit and the inverted vent kit (all additional to the basic system). I don't have it set up to refill from the outside.
Thanks for the info. I will likely go under the floor with aluminum tube since I already have it and the firewall off. Three gallons is plenty if your only 1/2 gal/min, 4 is just bonus! Look forward to pictures when you have time!

Back