What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

12iS Main Gear Seal

GatorsR1

Well Known Member
Patron
Noticed the 12iS KAI includes a nice & simple main gear seal assembly (reference RV-12iS PAGE: 38iS/U-11).
Would there be any issues fitting it to a "classic" RV12 ?
I don't see the required parts (F-01275H, F-12105A and BUNA rubber sheet) in The List.

from the Mother house

I posed the same question to Van's support and got an immediate response ...

"this is one of the five items that are backwards compatible from the “iS” to the “classic”.
Others would be the egress handle, canopy latch, F-01234 gusset, and stabilator tip fairings."

All nice areas to upgrade :cool:

just a seal, not fairing

here's hoping I attached "photo" correctly ...
if not, it's shown on RV-12iS KAI PAGE: 38iS/U-11

AF1QipNJV7VUAnNBVSLoXV1R6ZO1iVGS6_ionOnGGSZ6

Here you go...

Attachments

• IMG_1111.jpeg
    IMG_1111.jpeg
    517.1 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1115.jpeg
    IMG_1115.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 192
Thanks for the photo. I was more envisioning a fiberglass aerodynamic faring. That looks like a rubber boot to reduce the air ingress / egress I guess that may be a problem in the colder climates.

easy upgrade for RV12 (from iS)

My initial interest in it was to deter intrusion by pesky mice (and it just looks aesthetically nicer to have those gaps somewhat closed up)

Thanks for the photo. I was more envisioning a fiberglass aerodynamic faring. That looks like a rubber boot to reduce the air ingress / egress I guess that may be a problem in the colder climates.

Like this...

BuyPlaneParts.com (2) RV-12 Main Gear Leg to Fuselage Fairings - $80.00

Not fiberglass - ABS plastic

Jim,
Yes, the ones you have is what I had in mind. I am not a fan of ABS in this application. I may have to mold up my own fiberglass ones.

Jim,
Yes, the ones you have is what I had in mind. I am not a fan of ABS in this application. I may have to mold up my own fiberglass ones.

The plastic has cracked in a couple of places. I laid fiberglass reinforcement inside and no problem now. I guess no worse than all the cracked plastic on a Cessna...

Back