What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paul Dye on Youtube

Paul Tuttle

Well Known Member
I ran across this Youtube interview featuring Paul on his last week as a lead flight director with NASA.

We are very fortunate that he's here on VAF and that he is so willing to share his wealth of knowledge with us. I'm honored to have met him in person.

All the best in your retirement Paul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsUbq85-vPw

A question or 2 for Paul Dye.
In the background of the youtube video is the large screen with ISS path over the globe.
Around the ISS symbol is a circle (looks to be about 1500nm diameter) - what does that show?
Also, there are a cacophony of swirling yellow lines at top covering much of top of the earth - what do they represent?
If this is an impertinent hijacking of this thread please remove the post, or tell me and I will remove it.
John

Hijack

Hopefully Paul will answer those questions. I think most of us here on VAF are greatly interested in the ISS too.:D

Paul Dye retire? Shirley, you jest.

I happen to know he now has another job. Not sure if it's public yet, so I won't spill the beans.

Great Career. Great Guy.

I was introduced to Paul and his wife at Oshkosh last summer.
Great couple. Both super talented. Beautiful awesome planes.
I didn't know who he was at the time.
He was so kind, generous, and patient with each person that asked him questions...a characteristic of a really great leader.
Very down to earth and so knowledgeable.
What a great career. Makes one proud to be an American.

Thanks for sharing the YouTube video.

A question or 2 for Paul Dye.
In the background of the youtube video is the large screen with ISS path over the globe.
Around the ISS symbol is a circle (looks to be about 1500nm diameter) - what does that show?
Also, there are a cacophony of swirling yellow lines at top covering much of top of the earth - what do they represent?
If this is an impertinent hijacking of this thread please remove the post, or tell me and I will remove it.
John

I'm not Paul Dye and don't know the answers to any of those questions but will take stabs at some of them.

Some of the lines seem to be ground tracks, going into the future a few orbits. It looks like there may be plots of current day and night. I think some of the circles are visibility circles, like for radio, for the vehicle.

All those northern latitude circles; hard to figure out.

Well, since you asked..... ;)

The red "circle" around the ISS tells us where the radio horizon is for the vehicle. Anything within that circle on the surface of the earth is "visible" to the vehicle (and vice versa).

The cacophony of yellow lines over Asia represent the ground sites of the Russians. They are also circles that surround the site such that if the vehicle is within the circle, it can "see" the site. They pretty much have full coverage over Asia.

As Larry identified, the white sine waves are current and future orbits, and the big looping lines represent our relay satellite coverage. We pretty much have full coverage of the earth with our geosynchronous satellites...that is, we can talk to ISS no matter where it is...PROVIDED that we have time on the satellite (we oftentimes give it up for other users and take a little break on the ground).

Thanks again for the kind words, and as Mel alluded to, I although I was planning on simply staying home and letting Louise keep me in the manner to which I have become accustomed, I was offered a proposition I couldn't refuse - I will be the next Editor in Chief of Kitplanes magazine starting in a month or two. Like Marc Cook, I hope to add more technical/building content to every issue, and hope folks will find it interesting, informative, and entertaining.

Thanks again for the kind words, and as Mel alluded to, I although I was planning on simply staying home and letting Louise keep me in the manner to which I have become accustomed, I was offered a proposition I couldn't refuse - I will be the next Editor in Chief of Kitplanes magazine starting in a month or two. Like Marc Cook, I hope to add more technical/building content to every issue, and hope folks will find it interesting, informative, and entertaining.

Paul, this is real great news. I really enjoy Kitplanes and with you being a big part of it will make it even better. I look forward to meeting you someday. I would love to shake your hand. The offer is still good - lodging for stories in Colorado - any time!

Sign me up

Paul,
From your writings here, I think I might be interested in being a subscriber to Kitplanes. When you get there, can you do a little sponsorship of VAF so you can post some teaser content and perhaps a link for us all to sign up for a subscription?
Can I imagine what plane will be on the first cover of your reign?

Excellent news Paul! Loved the RV-14 article. I'll probably have to add Kitplanes to my subscription list now. What is it about retirement that you're suddenly busier than when you were career-working? :p

Super!

The Kitplanes folks could not have picked a better person! I say that will all due respect , because although I haven't met you in person, I feel like I have known you many, many years! Hope to shake your hand one day too.

Now, I am off to re-subscibe to Kitplanes.

Just a thought... since you won't be "Editing" all the time, could you also head the E.A.A.?

An interesting interview.....

There was more not said than said ;)

Like you mentioned Paul - could still be flying the Shuttle........

I will have to pick up Kitplanes more often when in Orlando :D

Great news Paul! Like a breath of fresh air for Kit Planes magazine! Wow!

What is Louise gonna do now that she no longer has a "kept man" around the house?

Last edited:
Why wait to pick up your copy? Kitplanes has international subscriptions. Looks like digital is the way to go for international folks: https://secure.kitplanes.com/subscribe/digital.html

If you must have paper, check out: https://secure.kitplanes.com/subscr..._SUBSCRIBE_LEFTNAV&source=GL_201301&stype=WEB

10 paper issues mailed to me for $15.95 or 12 electronic issues for $19.95.

Wonder why the electronic issue cost more. The electronic version is included with the paper addition.

........ I was offered a proposition I couldn't refuse - I will be the next Editor in Chief of Kitplanes magazine starting in a month or two. Like Marc Cook, I hope to add more technical/building content to every issue, and hope folks will find it interesting, informative, and entertaining.

I had a supposition, something like ... third sense.

So yesterday I did the international subscrition to Kitplanes magazine.

:D

The Laws Of Physics

I tell my children that the cream always rises to the top. I meet many, many people in my business and personal life. I met Paul at Oshkosh several years ago and knew I was speaking to a special guy without knowing what he did at NASA or who he was. Then I found out and said, "AH HA!"

My subscription to Kitplanes will be processed tonight.
Good luck in your new career!

Intl sub vs Digital

International subscription = $32.95, Digital = $19.95 (although this is the 'introductory' rate).

Pete

Just to add a small comment. A couple of years ago I asked a beginner's question on VAF about what size safety wire to use. Who answered it? Paul Dye. I didn't know who he was at the time, but when I found out, I couldn't believe that the Space Shuttle Flight Director had taken the time to reply to such a basic question from a new homebuilder in a remote corner of the globe. I was astonished, and so were my friends when I told them. Thanks Paul (and I followed your advice ;) ).

Paul thanks for the explanation of the screen on the video.
I have been a Kitplanes Digital subscriber for a couple of years.
When you take up your new job, what will that do to your ability to post on VAF?
John

More Kudos for Paul

Please count me among Paul's admirers and fans. I, too, think that his becoming Editor-in-Chief of KP is a very good thing for all of us.

Now that I have said that from the heart, here is a gut-check:

Isn't it a shame that Sport Aviation has morphed to what it is now (which I will not characterize) and that we have to go to another source for the kinds of articles experimenters want and need?

So Kudos for Paul, Louise (who tried to do something about EAA) and the free market of ideas and communication.

Back