What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Christmas eve flight over Tahoe

Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
On the spur of the moment this morning, we decided to take a fly around (the weather has been lousy for the last two weeks and supposed to be bad again starting tomorrow). It was certainly a beautiful day to be in the air, very smooth and cold enough for great performance up to 11k. Surprising to me that I heard a total of only 3 airplanes on the radio for the entire hour aloft. Here are a few photos from the flight over Lake Tahoe area. We've had about 5-7 feet of snow there over the last couple weeks. Apologies for the less-than-stellar quality, as these were taken with Julia's iPhone (didn't have the camera since the flight was not a planned one).

Happy holidays,
Greg

Stampede Reservoir, almost full from the recent rain/snow

West shore of Lake Tahoe

Fluffy clouds over the lake

A bit of the bottom of Diamond Peak ski area (most of it is under the clouds)

Mt. Rose, just southwest of Reno

Nice pictures Greg. Looks like a fun flight. Just think of how different you would have had to plan your flight if you wanted to go in a 172. Probably would have had to circle out to Fernley to get high enough over the hills! I have skiied Mt Rose many times. Slide Mt. had one heck of a downhill course long ago.

Now I need to get my 9A done so I can start taking photos. Working on the FWF, wiring, and panel design. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Two solid weeks of non-flyable weather?! That is unacceptable..... ;) We'll have to fix that when we get out to the region....

Gorgeous pictures BTW - worth the wait I bet!

Not sure my eyes could have handled "stellar-quality photo's". LOL. Looks great to me. Thanks for sharing.

... We'll have to fix that when we get out to the region....
Hurry up ... the bad weather is headed back tomorrow...

Thought about heading up to the lake ... but with all the pre Christmas tasks by the time we got to the airport we didn't make it outside the Bay Area.

Did have a nice flight around the area though.
Thanks for sharing the photos...

Nice!

Hey Greg.....thanks for the great photos....prob the only white we will see here for Christmas!

Ironflight: Greg is righ, there has been a tiny bit of breeze in the Reno area. Apparently that causes the obsolescient-designed(read TD) aircraft to hide out in their hangars while the modern(read NW) aircraft have been enjoying the pattern nearly every day. Happy New Year all, Dan

I do miss flying out there with you guys, and these photos don't help. I can't imagine Dan missing a chance to do some cross wind landings:)

Back