What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stratus vs XM Update

pvalovich

Well Known Member
I subscribe to XM Weather at $34.99 per month (a rip off but when I contacted XM today the gal said there are no plans to reduce the price) - but living in the Mojave with generally good weather and find that I use it mostly on cross countries a few times per year. Stratus from Sporty's is $799 - with no subscription fees - less than 2 years of XM fees.

Now that Stratus has been around for a while, does anyone have any updated comparison comments: Stratus vs XM?

It's not just the money for the receiver. You need a display device and there seems to be subscription fees for software to display the "free" weather product. The display device tends to be another loose box in the cockpit, one with iffy screen visibility.

I already have a panel mounted Garmin 696, so the GDL39 is probably a better fit. However, I can't get excited about buying one. I don't want a lump with an antenna on my glareshield, nor do I want a power cord, and I darn sure don't want another set of batteries.

Perhaps I'm wishing too much, but maybe Garmin will introduce an ADS-B receiver like the GXM-40 XM receiver....something you can mount out of sight, with a one-plug power and signal hardwire connection to the GPS. There's a whole lot of 496, 696, and 796 units out there. GXM-40's are about $200. I'd give $400 for an ADS-B equivalent. No need for the WAAS GPS or Bluetooth.

In any case I suspect our friends at GRT, Dynon, and Advanced will soon have something to plug into their EFIS.

I don't want a lump with an antenna on my glareshield, nor do I want a power cord, and I darn sure don't want another set of batteries.

It is one reason I am wiring the GDL 39 into ships power, burring it behind the panel and using a remote antenna.

Given the XM requires an antenna somewhere, it's not hugely different.

Last edited:
I already have a panel mounted Garmin 696, so the GDL39 is probably a better fit. However, I can't get excited about buying one. I don't want a lump with an antenna on my glareshield, nor do I want a power cord, and I darn sure don't want another set of batteries.
You can run ship's power to the GDL39 (with the appropriate cable), and the little stubby antenna unscrews to allow you to run an external antenna. I don't have a GDL39 in hand, but that is what I understand from my research on it.

Yes, the GDL39 can be completely remote mounted and hardwired into the panel. You will need an external UAT antenna and most likely a remote GPS antenna.

I recently remote mounted the GDL39, tied it to the 696 and 330, works like a charm. For me I was able to get rid of the big XM puck and replace it with the much smaller remote XM antenna on the glareshield. Added another antenna on the belly for the uplink.

I have a 3 screen gx3 in our -10. We have both xm and ads-b through the GDl39. I have the 39 mounted behind the panel with a remote antenna on the belly, and hooked into the ships power. Believe it or not, it receives the GPS signal from under the panel, so no external antenna needed. I am keeping the xm on for now, since you can't receive the ads-b on the ground (at least very often). I was hoping for a better solution for the g3x and Ads-b, but this seems to work for now

I was hoping for a better solution for the g3x and Ads-b, but this seems to work for now

Bill,

What does the GDL-39 not give you that you were looking for? If it is ground reception, that is going to be an issue with any solution.

I know a number of guys who use their garmin portables to get XM weather before flight.

For me, I preflight using Foreflight so the lack of "on the ground" ADSB weather has not been a concern.

Going forward, the question will be to stay with foreflight or switch to Garmin Pilot since the airplane now has the GDL 39 feeding a 795 (but could be backed up by an iPhone or iPad). But that topic would be serious thread drift.

I was hoping for a solution that would also provide adsb out without having to invest in a new transponder, and re-do the panel. The 330 is to long for the current position in the stack, and I don't want a remote transponder. I do mostly IFR flying and I don't want to input the code using the g3x, it's just not as convenient. When the system is fully operational in this area, I will probably pick up a 330 and move the stack a little to accommodate the extra length over the 327.

Another option is the Trig TT31, is the same size as the 327 and quite a bit cheaper than the 330 as well.

Correction: depths are as follows:

GTX327 = 7.3
TT31 = 9.5
GTX330 = 9.9

Last edited:
Dynon ADS-B in/out

In any case I suspect our friends at GRT, Dynon, and Advanced will soon have something to plug into their EFIS.

Yes..just swapped a 330 for the Dynon XPDR coupled to their UAT ADS-B rcvr for an integrated ADS-B in/out solution displayed on the Skyview. Very easy to install, setup and operate (4 wires to the XPDR - pwr, gnd, rs232 tx/rx plus ANT). There really isn't anything to operate with ADS-B, you receive it or you don't depending on ground station locations. Dynon provides some options for Weather decoding and Traffic display but once set your done with it. Here in S. FL I have ADS-B in/out by 800 feet and to be honest the amount of traffic in the area was a bit stunning. It works like a champ. The xpdr has a RS232 rx line for FAA 2020 compliant GPS sources but for now I'm connected to the dynon GPS through the display. This integrated solution really bumps the capability up a level and when combined with upcoming Advanced Auto pilot functions this will really be a top notch system.

to be honest the amount of traffic in the area was a bit stunning..

It is an amazing shocker when you get to see a nearly complete traffic picture and you realize all of the aircraft you have been missing with see and avoid.

Nothing replaces eyeballs outside but TIS-B sure does make a positive difference!

I Wish......

DSC01268.JPG

Everyone has there differing wants.

I currently get XM on a garmin Aera. I wish there could be an ADS-B reciever that would output to multiple devices.

I want to display the weather on the Aera but send the Traffic to the Skyview.

I find that I really dont like to give up the real estate of the EFIS just to show another map for weather.

During the en rout portion of the flight I generaly have a map page up on the GTN for navigation, A map page up on the Aera for weather, a Map page displaying IFR low alt. charts on the Ipad.

I REALLY DONT WANT ANOTHER MAP.

Now, If I go with ADS-B via Ipad then I have to give up the cool feature of having traffic on the synthetic vision of the skyview:(

If I go with Dynon ADS-B I cant have the weather on something other than the skyview:(:(:(

OH well. Just keep paying XM till a better option comes out.

Last edited:
You have hit my one peeve / concern - each ADSB receiver seems to have a one-to-one relationship with a display hardware solution.

Dynon to Dynon
Garmin to Garmin (their displays or their app)
Stratus to ForeFlight

It makes me suspect obsolescence.

You have hit my one peeve / concern - each ADSB receiver seems to have a one-to-one relationship with a display hardware solution.

True enough.

Let's return to the original question; replacing XM weather.....no traffic in, no data-out, just weather at a better price while maintaining a quality user experience.

The OP wants to know how well you like getting weather with Stratus.

I'm wishing for a plain 'ole hardwired receiver for ADS-B weather which plugs into my 696 (or 396, 496, 796, 510, or 560), same as the GXM-40 XM receiver it would replace. I don't want or need a WAAS GPS, Bluetooth, and traffic.

Last edited:
Back