What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

magneto lag = engine advance

dougknight

Well Known Member
is it common practice to have less lag on your impulse coupling than the advance timing of the crank?

Seems to me they should be the same or the impulse angle even greater to prevent kickbacks on start.

doug

Impulse couplings are generally set up to let go (fire) right at TDC. Above some rpm they don't engage and the mag timing goes back to whatever advance it is set for.

Impulse couplings are generally set up to let go (fire) right at TDC. Above some rpm they don't engage and the mag timing goes back to whatever advance it is set for.

Not quite.

A lot of our Lycomings use Slick mags with a 20 degree lag (4371), but the engine timing of 25 BTDC.

Other Lycomings use the 4373 with a 25 degree lag, which would agree with your statement.

Slow / Fast cranking speed.

The magneto impulse coupling lag angle varies with cranking speed of the engine. If the starter cranks the engine too slow or too fast, magneto firing could occur too far from Top Dead Center for effective starting. Installing a faster cranking starter may require changing the impulse coupling lag angle

If the engine has a tendency to start when you let go of the starter switch or if the engine starts better with a low battery; then the engine is firing too early in the stroke. Magnetos are timed to the engine so as to provide the spark at 20 to 25 degrees before top dead center of piston compression stroke. This timing is designed to provide engine efficiency at normal operating speeds. Since starting occurs at very low engine turning speeds, magneto timing must occur closer to top dead center to push the piston down. The objective of the impulse coupling is to delay magneto firing from 20o before top-dead-center until about 5o before Top-Dead-Center by building in a 15o lag angle into the magneto impulse coupling. This happens only in theory.

The degree of impulse coupling retard is directly proportional to crank speed. Take for example the Lycoming O-235-L2C engine. The original starter cranked the engine too fast. Lycoming Service Instruction 1362 changed the lag angle of the impulse coupling from 15 degrees to 5 degrees to compensate for the fast turning starter and greatly improve starting on this engine. (with the 5 degree lag angle the engine may have a tendency to kick-back during hand propping. Don't hand prop!)

A later starter (Prestolite MMU-4001R) was specifically designed to turn the engine slower. But be careful now, this slower starter works with the original 15 degree impulse coupling so the magneto impulse coupling lag angle should remain at 15 degrees.

Now lets say you purchase a starter or magnetos for your O-235L2C engine. To get optimum starting performance you need to match the starter with the impulse coupling.

The same hard starting problem may occur if you switch to a faster turning light-weight starter and don't change the impulse coupling on any impulse coupling magneto.

From this site.

http://www.sacskyranch.com/eng16.htm

Without seeing post #4, my mechanic who is usually right about airplane stuff, said that the prop is spinning too fast.

Gil

doesn't leaving 5 degrees BTDC on the table (4371 and crank @ 25 degrees) lend itself to a kickback?

Throw in a cold morning, a low battery cause she been sitting for 2 weeks, and light wood prop sounds like a good recipe for a new starter. Which I can vouch for, x2.

I think I will be looking for a 4373 that has the 25 degree lag angle.

weasel:
Thanks for your post, gave me some good insight on how cranking speed (or lack of) effects impulse firing.

thanks guys
doug

Doug has an O-320-D2A.

I also think that breaking his issue into two separate threads is counterproductive. I suggest merging this with his "kickback" thread so a possible answer is more easily found in the future.

If that is done, delete this message except for the first line.

Back