What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

235 HP RV-10?

JoeB

Was on Vans site today looking at specs for the 10.

Has anyone done anything but the 250/260 HP RV-10?
How did the performance change?

Vans said that the 235 #'s were estimates only so just curious if anyone has done it

It takes a lot of power to make a real speed difference.

Where you will see the difference is in rate of climb and service ceiling.

The only reason I put the 260hp in is they don't make a 460hp one.

I'm waiting for somebody to bolt one of these onto the nose of an RV-10 :D

engine_series_720.jpg

Fuel Burn

I'm waiting for somebody to bolt one of these onto the nose of an RV-10 :D

engine_series_720.jpg

Neal, I first learned of this engine when camping at Oshkosh several years ago. The guy next to me was an A&P and he had a Commanche with the IO-720 engine. Fuel burn is something like 25-30 gph in cruise! He said the Comanches with the IO-720 engines have a history of fuel starvation accidents.

That engine sure did sound sweet though the morning he cranked up to go home. Not quite a RR Merlin V-12, but mighty smo-o-oth sounding for a small plane.

Good object lesson here, the 400 HP Comanche cruised 13% faster than the 260 HP version while burning 40% more fuel. Sucker sure would climb though, burning over a gallon of fuel every 2 minutes.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Good object lesson here, the 400 HP Comanche cruised 13% faster than the 260 HP version while burning 40% more fuel. Sucker sure would climb though, burning over a gallon of fuel every 2 minutes.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

An excellent object lesson. Of course, Avgas was probably about $.40 a gallon (or less!) back when that airplane was being sold!:D

An excellent object lesson. Of course, Avgas was probably about $.40 a gallon (or less!) back when that airplane was being sold!:D

I just found a website that lists the average historical auto fuel price. In 1969 auto fuel cost $.34 / gallon.

The Comanche 400 (PA-24-400) came out in 1964, so that might be a good price.

I couldn't find a good reference to the price of 100LL back then.

I do know that when I started flying in the mid-80's, auto fuel was around $1.00 / gallon and 100LL was $2.00 / gallon

What is the only difference between the 230 and 260 HP? ;)

Then think about the operational differences :)

Difference between 235 and 260 hp

I researched this before I bought my O-540 J3C5D. I don't know if it applies to all the 235 hp engines or not, but the part numbers of the internals are different for my engine than the 260 hp engines.

Some have suggested that I just change the governor setting, but according to the engineer I talked to at Lycoming the internal parts of this engine are not designed to spin faster than 2400 rpm.
I am inclined to take their advice.

I went with the 260 hp because I fly at gross 95% of the time and like the climb rate better in the summer. Otherwise the 235 hp would be fine and will save a bunch.

Back