What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I got knocked down once...

Mark Bolton

Time stamp 2014 ... I built an RV - 4 that was ready to take to the air field. 40 hours work left maximum. Then I saw a lick of flame venturing down my front drive . The wildfire flame got bigger. It got interesting from a thermodynamic perspective.

It got intense when the wild fire crowned and I hid under rocks and such ... any way that was 2014 and .... Even better I didnt die in the fire.

The RV - 4 went airbourne but without me in it...

The airframe .... (all those rivets) just took the fire and vaporised... I expected to see a pool of Aluminum where my RV - 4 once was. But there was nothing. Not even ash.

It took us fire fighters 5 weeks to defeat that fire ... I didnt have a house any more but I wasnt dead... down but not out.

FYI I am Australian...

Perhaps If I could build a RV - 3 ? I never like the "ever so clever" airplanes .. with the this and the that.

I would just appreciate an honest design (RV - 3 /4) with an engine that makes sense ...

When I had a Tiger Moth I used to love to follow the sunset wedge into the evening astronomy ... then fly it back down ti Her nights rest ... sometimes a lazy half tumble spin is fun. When a Tiger Moth stops flying it is like trimming the sails on a Sea Scout training sail vessel. I ti all about the elements.

Tiger Moths are wonderful but are too much the Herman Melville discussion.

Do you think I should build an RV - 3 ? .... Oh Really?? well so do I .. at least I would have something worth flying.

Nice writing Mark, I feel your loss, 20 years ago I lost a genuine L31 SLR 5000 Torana to an all consuming fire. An irreplaceable car that I never intended to part with, ever...

Now to the RV part, I have a nearly completed my RV 3 and it will soon need a test pilot and someone to do some initial flight testing.

I think you should build again... come and sit in mine to confirm...

Russell

RV 3 project for sale

Mark,
There’s an almost complete RV3 project for sale, $15,000 USD, listed on one of the trade-a-plane site. Will get you flying in no time.
Paul

Mark, there's an RV-3 for sale on....another site who I can't link to soasto keep DR on-side. It is in Qld if you're wanting one to fly without the pain of shipping & GST costs. Listed at $54,500.

But the way your premier is carrying on, even if you go to Qld you're likely to be refused permission to get back into WA...:eek:

Buy mine

I will sell you a flying RV3 which needs some TLC. That doesn't mean it is not airworthy just rough around the edges. $17k. Last year I flew it 30+ hours. An honest simple plane with little to go wrong. Tilt over canopy which makes you feel like an F-18 pilot. Let me know...

Mark

P.S. Two years ago we toured Oz looking for a hangar home but wound up back here in SOCAL.

Back