What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DID YOU KNOW insuranc companies want specific make and model time?

LRingeisen

Well Known Member
When requesting quotes for your Vans Aircraft, it’s important that we know if your time flown was in the specific make and model you are insuring. Some companies allow us to use time from one RV to count for another, but others don’t. This is especially important when it comes to tricycle gear verse tailwheel. For example, let’s say we have a pilot that purchases a RV-6A. If they have never flown in a RV-6A, but they have 50 hours in a RV-6, the insurance companies will not use that time when it comes to quotes. This goes for having time in a tricycle gear version but wanting quotes on a tailwheel gear version as well.

Some companies are a little more lenient when it comes to the same type of aircraft, but each company is different. If a pilot is purchasing a RV-6A and doesn’t have time in a 6A specifically, but has several hours in another tricycle gear model Vans, this is good information for us to know. Depending on the company, we may be able to use that time to bring your premium down or to possibly have training requirements lowered/removed.

Again this is only an example and each company has their own rules for which aircrafts they will combine times in. We don’t have control over the decisions that the insurance companies make, but having specific details of your time in the similar Vans models could help us negotiate better terms.

Last edited:
Back in the day we could only get insurance quotes from one agent because the companies wouldn't give another agent quotes.

Last edited:
One thing I was able to do was to negotiate with my broker.
When I finished my -9 taildragger almost 13 years ago, the underwriters wanted me to get three hours in Make and Model.

Since the -9 was and still is a bit of a unicorn, I was able to negotiate three hours in any side-by-side tailwheel RV.

I'm so irritated by the state of insurance on aircraft lately.

A former fighter jet pilot was given a $6k quote for insurance on an RV-6. That's insane.

I got quotes from a few insurers prior to first flight. One agent that was supposed to be very knowledgeable about RV?s and experimentals asked me if the -7A was retractable or fixed gear🙄.

Talked to Leah for a quote. Aside from being the best price by far, her service and knowledge was awesome. Been with them ever since.

Im running into this very issue with the RV-7A in my flying club. I have hundreds of RV-3B hours and a checkout in an RV-7 and recently flew the 7a with two club instructors who both signed me off. Plus I recently got checked out in my midwing Extra 300, which is quite a bit harder to land than the 7. I may be forced to drone up and down the valley for 7 more hours in order to satisfy the requirements. The RV wings are all basically the same so I don't understand the issue. I would also think that recent hours in an aircraft that's harder to land would count for something. I'm writing a letter to the insurance company so there's still hope I suppose.

Last edited:
I'm so irritated by the state of insurance on aircraft lately.

A former fighter jet pilot was given a $6k quote for insurance on an RV-6. That's insane.

Unfortunately, turbine experience is very different than GA tailwheel experience. One does not have to read too far into NTSB RV lists to find many examples of high time and advanced rated people with ground loop events.

Shop around

Agree, it sucks, BUT:
- you need to read the entire policy
- you need to highlight areas of concern
- you need to negotiate both cost AND terms
- you need to be able to shop around

Take the offensive on this. It DOES take time and research, but you will be rewarded in the end.

Just some input from someone that is running a business and has to deal with this day-in, day-out.

Oddly enough, my rate this year didn't go up more than a few dollars (just renewed). Same coverage. About 1/4 what that fighter pilot was quoted for the same plane. Maybe he should get something with the little wheel in the front instead. :)

Hi Leah,

Is there a discount point where pilots with low time can expect a price break.

For instance I have 33 hours of tail wheel time total, but say I hit say 100 hours tw time before my policy expires. Could I expect a better rate or a discount?

Just curious if there is a set discount point based on gaining experience.

Thank you

I sent in the renewal info for my insurance this weekend so I'm anxiously waiting their quote after reading this thread :eek:

Well color me surprised because my insurance renewal quote just arrived and it went down $256 for the exact same coverage !! That just paid for more than half of the new AOA/heated pitot tube I ordered less than an hour ago :D:D

Back