What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hard wiring Ipod to panel.

terry.mortimore

Well Known Member
Hi gang: Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I could not find it in the archive.

I'd like to use a Airgizmo dock holder to hold my Ipod for onboard music.

http://www.airgizmos.com/iPod-Panel-Dock_p_22.html

What I'd like to find is a way to use the flat 1" wide connector on the bottom of the Ipod to both charge and supply the music input into my intercom.

I've read the threads on installing a USB connector on the panel. That would look after the power (5 volt 3 amp supply), but that does not help with the music input.

Does any body have the pin outs for those cables?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Terry.

The cable you want already exists ...
31RxfxwzMgL._SS400_.jpg

... and then use a power adapter ...
2318.16119.150x100.USBC202m_9883_angled.jpg

There are also "all-in-one" options ...
41ovK58r4gL._SS500_.jpg

Last edited:
USB Does not have Line Out

The flat connector has both USB and line out capability. The USB connector does not carry any of the audio, so you still need the line out. The adapter cable above, or the somewhat slimmer SendStation is what you want. On our panel we put the CommitLift USB charger right next to an Aux Jack to Music #1 on our PS Engineering Audio panel to do exactly what you are describing.

The difficult part is we put 3 of them in (one for the copilot seat, one for each rear passenger) so we'll have to figure out who gets to use which input between the two rear seat passengers.

I did it like this

I put the Ipad in the panel and hard wired it like you are wanting to do.

Used pin 2 for audio ground
pin 3 and 4 for the right and left audio to intercom

iPhone_Pinout.png

for a charging solution I used a 7805 transistor to make a 5volt power source and then used some resistors as a bridge to make the correct 2 volts needed to the USB data + and - wires pins 25 and 27

and then put 5 volts and ground to pins 23 and 25.

http://hackedgadgets.com/2010/08/05/apples-proprietary-charging-circuit/

It charges at low rate (500 mah) which will slightly charge it while running Skycharts Pro, music, and the internal GPS but with Wifi turned off. If I accedentaly leave the wifi on it is about even with the current drain (does not charge or discharge)

Note: It never showes the charging icon in the top due to being in the slow charge mode.

Ipad 2 here. I have no experiance with the other ipads.
IMAG0289.jpg

Last edited:
Question:

I currently use an MP3 player connected to my Garmin 240 audio panel. I just mount it to the panel with a piece of velcro. But I cannot recharge the MP3 player in the plane. What is the cable that you show and where do you get it. Also I have an Ipad mini on order.

Is the Ipad / Ipod connector compatible with the MP3 player or not? If not I could use the MP3 charger that came with the unit and use the second 12 volt adaptor port for the ipad if I knew where you get the connector for the IPAD.

Thanks for any input.

John Morgan

Proceed with caution

I would be reluctant to use an AirGizmo for an iPod. Back when I built my panel (First flight was in 2007) I thought about installing an AirGizmo but realized that Apple keeps changing the form factor of the iPods and the life expectancy of an iPod is two years at best.

My solution was to simply install a stereo plug on the panel and play my music through that. Now I?m not dependent on the whims of Apple?s product designers.

(My stereo plug and dual power ports are on the right side of the panel where I or my passenger can reach them.)

Thanks guys, I had not seen those split cables before.

Another thread had this link which I think would make a nice installation. I want to install the USB power and music input in the secondary panel with just the 30 pin feed coming through the instrument panel.

http://www.burnsmoto.com/waterproof-usb-charger-socket-panel-mount.php

Reading through some of the other threads there has been some talk about the cables causing some noise in the headsets. Not sure what can be done about it until I get flying and see if it is a problem or not.

Ya, I have not convinced myself about using the airgizmo dock. May use some velcro for the mount.

cheers, Terry.

Question:

I currently use an MP3 player connected to my Garmin 240 audio panel. I just mount it to the panel with a piece of velcro. But I cannot recharge the MP3 player in the plane. What is the cable that you show and where do you get it. Also I have an Ipad mini on order.

Is the Ipad / Ipod connector compatible with the MP3 player or not? If not I could use the MP3 charger that came with the unit and use the second 12 volt adaptor port for the ipad if I knew where you get the connector for the IPAD.

Thanks for any input.

John Morgan

See post #7 of the thread at the below link for a source of 30 pin to audio cable and power adapters.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=79716

You do not say what MP3 player you have. The 30 pin iPod/iPhone/iPad connector is only compatible with Apple products. If your MP3 player is from another manufacturer, you will not be able to use a 30 pin to audio cable.

John,

I just re-read and noticed that you have an iPad mini on order. The iPad mini and the new iPad G4 do NOT use the Apple 30 pin connector standard in the iPod and previous iPhones. The iPad mini, iPhone 5 and iPad gG4 use the new 8 pin Lightning connector.

I have not yet seen any Lightning to USB / Audio cables but I assume these will be available shortly. Alternatively, rather than wait, you can purchase a Bluetooth receiver dongle that will allow you to wireless feed music to you audio system. Since these devices can be self powered, there is also no issue of ground loop noise.

poa016818_1.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Britelink-Bluetooth-Audio-Receiver-Portable/dp/B0059M4G9K/ref=pd_sim_cps_2

https://touch.ebay.com/tablet/vi?itemId=160865646455&txnId=832800150006

Last edited:
Back