What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 rudders/elevators skinned with 020

I've got an RV3 empennage here that I'm considering using on an original design. Whoever built it skinned the elevators and rudder with .020 instead of .016. Best I can calculate it, that adds about 5 ounces to each elevator, near all of it behind the hinge line. The elevators weigh L 4# 2oz(trim tab), R 3# 12oz. I haven't figured the rudder yet. The HS and Vertical are to plans...032 skin. The new design will be slower that the 3...cruise maybe 150 and Vne not far above that. The obvious concern is the possibility of flutter.
Is there any history/experience of the 3 with 020 control surfaces?

Thanks
Joe

I don't know about the -3, but the later -6 tail came with 0.020 skins. Just add some weight to the counterbalance so that you have correct balance and you should be fine. Of course flutter has more to it than just the elevator/stab. For a new design anything is possible. Once balanced the elevators would be fine on an RV.

Last edited:
I don't know about the -3, but the later -6 tail came with 0.020 skins. Just add some weight to the counterbalance so that you have correct balance and you should be fine. Of course flutter has more to it than just the elevator/stab. For a new design anything is possible. Once balanced the elevators would be fine on an RV.

RV3 Elevators are not counterbalanced.

Internal counterbalance

If it is an original design, you could incorporate an internal counterbalance for the elevator. It is fairly straightforward. Basically you put an extra arm and a weight on a bell crank somewhere in the system. Could be mid-fuselage to help with weight and balance. As long as the weight goes up when the elevator goes down, it helps. Finding the right amount of weight means balancing the assembly through the pushrod.

Thanks for the internal counterbalance idea. A possibility. Still interested in whether there is any field experience in the -3 R and Es with 020 skins. And naw Weasel, you know it don't have no turbo. Who let you outa your hole anyway?

Who let you outa your hole anyway?

Gopher_in_hole.gif

Back