What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Build Proven Tool Brands and Models

acpilot

Well Known Member
Patron
I am in the process of acquiring tools to set up my shop and begin building an RV 14A or RV 10 in the near future. I have already decided on the dimpler but still undecided on best pneumatic squeezer or rivet gun. Since these are expensive items I am looking to buy used it able. I am constantly on the lookout for used tools on VAF or Ebay. I am just wondering which brands and models of pneumatic tools work well and are proven to get you through a build.

Thanks

Just some suggestions.

Wedgeloc Clecos are the best.

A Numatx Squeezer is a high dollar item, but I LOVE mine. Money well spent in my opinion.

Sioux Air Drill (air motor). Incredibly well built, light and ergonomic.

a Sioux rivet gun is also nice, I don't have one personally, but a friend does and I really like his. I will probably buy one myself.

Boelube for any sort of drilling.

Tungsten bucking bar. One is all you'll ever need.

The alternative to figuring out what brands to buy is to buy from a reputable outfit, like Cleveland Tools. I bought almost all my main tools from them - the stuff that is critical: squeezer, dimple dies, rivet guns, drill, bits, bucking bars, etc. I bought other stuff, such as sanders, band saws, etc locally at Home Depot, lowes or harbor freight.

You pay a little more to buy things from Cleveland, but they have great service. I had My squeezer stop working properly after about 3 years. They had it repaired for me within 3 days, and sent spare parts along with it.

The alternative to figuring out what brands to buy is to buy from a reputable outfit, like Cleveland Tools.

Completely agree. Pick places that have been around and part of the Vans community and aviation for a long time. Look at the brands that they sell.

Cheap tools have their place but only for occasional use or where you need to modify it. The little more expensive, higher quality tools will easily pay off for those you will be using daily. Bad tools make bad parts.

I recently upgraded the Taylor palm drill I used to build my RV-10, to a Sioux drill motor building my RV-9A. What a difference in quality!

Just starting my RV10 project. I have a 2x rivet gun but thinking I rather work with the 3x, which I have to buy.
However, I am curious what type/model of sioux drills do you use?
And what C-frame type/model are you using?
I will invest in a good bucking bar and I am wondering what size I need?

I will invest in a good bucking bar and I am wondering what size I need?

All of them.

OK, I kid, but you will find yourself needing assorted sizes as the build progresses. Tungsten bars are worth the extra $$$ as well; when I started I bought a secondhand tool set that included five or six steel bars, and I've barely touched any of them since I bought tungsten. 99% of the time I use the mini bar from Cleaveland, but I also have two smaller ones that come in handy for tight spaces.

https://www.cleavelandtool.com/coll...gsten-mini-bucking-bar?variant=18378249338942
https://www.cleavelandtool.com/coll...ungsten-bucking-bar-77?variant=18378249273406
https://www.cleavelandtool.com/coll...cking-bar-trailing-rib?variant=18378249306174

Tools

Just some suggestions.

Wedgeloc Clecos are the best.

A Numatx Squeezer is a high dollar item, but I LOVE mine. Money well spent in my opinion.

Sioux Air Drill (air motor). Incredibly well built, light and ergonomic.

a Sioux rivet gun is also nice, I don't have one personally, but a friend does and I really like his. I will probably buy one myself.

Boelube for any sort of drilling.

Tungsten bucking bar. One is all you'll ever need.

That about sums it up. Wedgelock! No other cleko compares.
I have a generic pneumatic squeezer. Works just fine. Rarely used.
I love my Sioux drill and gun. One good Tungsten bar will last a lifetime. Never touch the old steel bars.

Back