VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-07-2019, 09:47 PM

Default Texas RV-8A First Flight (N528GW)

What a day! Conditions could not have been more perfect. After almost 20 years of off and on building the time finally came!

Configuration: Lycoming IO-360A1B with Dual EMags and Backup Alternator, 3 Blade Catto Prop, Dynon Skyview, iPad running Foreflight and Stratux as backup instrument.

Started the day tidying things up in the cockpit, making sure cowl was secure, and fueling up. Did a short high power run to make sure my recently overhauled fuel injection servo would hang in there. (ACI at Clark Field in Justin, TX does great work!). Did a warm up flight flying right seat in an RV-7A to fly the first flight profile and remind me of emergency landing sites. Upon return checked cowl and underside for any oil or fuel leaks.

Took the runway at KGDJ and climbed up to 5500 feet and made many laps around the airport. Don Christiansen pulled up behind me in Yellow Bird to look things over. Andy Duff provided ground support. Oil temps stayed 190-200F. CHTs 330-350F. I do have a very heavy left wing that will need a remedy. Descent, landing, and taxi back were uneventful.

One Duh moment. Kept the plastic on Dynon Skyview since build. Screen looked great with it. Thought I would take it off for first flight. Could not see anything with polarized sunglasses! Put plastic back on but it came off in flight with cockpit air. Another pair of glasses to buy!

So many people to thank:

Ed Stout - Uncle who gave me my first airplane ride and taught me a bunch
Don Christiansen - Tech Counselor
Patrick Richardson - RV Transition Instructor
Pat Stewart - KGDJ Airport Manager
Kliff Black and Andy Duff - RV Building Motivators
Chapter members at EAA 983

Greg Walker
RV-8A (N528GW)
Aledo, TX

Last edited by walkergp : 12-08-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:19 AM

Default WooHoo!

Congrats Greg! Wish I could have been there.
Someday soon for me.
http://myrv-9abuild.com
Old 12-08-2019, 06:43 AM

Congratulations! Welcome to the club.