What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing an Engine Monitoring System

Leopold

Hi, folks. I've got an RV8 with a glass panel, G3X touch, GTN625.

The problem is an MGL Avionics Xtreme EMS, which seems to be on the fritz.

I would like to replace it. I'm a VFR-only pilot, though in the back of my mind someday perhaps getting an instrument ticket.

Need something that does the usual engine monitoring functions, as well as fuel amount/flow, voltmeter/ammeter, etc. Ideally something that does not cost an arm and a leg to buy and install (I will have the work done, not do it myself). I am in Seattle, extra points for a suggestion for the right place to have this done close to Boeing Field.

What would you recommend? Another box, or hook something into the G3X? If another box, which one and why?

Thanks!

Seth

Since you’ve already got a G3X touch, why not just add an EMS from Garmin into the system, and all your engine data will be integrated into your EFIS? That’s the simplest way to go - don’t know the cost. It’s just another remote Garmin box.

Paul

I agree that the GEA 24 would be a good way to go. If you?re doing the math, don?t forget to factor in the engine sensors for the Garmin, including a fuel flow sender if you don?t already have a compatible one, and connector kits for the GEA 24. There are four of them and they cost, usually $50 - $75 each. You can get all of this from Steinair (advertises here), and you could also hire them to build the necessary harnesses. Then your installation would only require mounting the GEA 24 somewhere behind the panel and connecting some wires - by you, or someone you hire.

Back