VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-29-2016, 04:21 PM

Default RV-7 #74017

A little late to the party on the build thread, but better late than never, I guess

I started my RV-7 project in 2013, purchasing a completed empennage and immediately ordering the wings. At the end of 2014, I paused the build to put up a workshop in my back yard (the one-car garage had gotten too small); moved the airplane project out there in October and finished up the wings.

The flaps have yet to be mounted, since I'm shy on edge distance and I need the larger hinge. I'll pick that up at Spruce next time we're in PTC. Otherwise, just the wingtips left. Fuselage arrived 1/20/16. And yes, this is a repost from the -7 project thread.

Updates will be sporadic and when I feel like it

Reply 1 will list the current thinking for the end result (paint, panel, etc) and get edited if/when things change. Further progress updates after that.

Last edited by rmartingt : 01-30-2016 at 03:56 AM. Reason: corrected date
Old 01-29-2016, 04:21 PM

Default Current project plan

This post describes my current vision for the project at the end--that is, what I want the airplane to be and look like.

Overall, it's a taildragger slider. That's what Dad's -6 is, and I like it. This is now set in stone with the fuselage here.

On the wings, I added outboard fuel tanks similar to Mr. Tuckey's ones, but only holding 12 gal or so each. Total fuel capacity should be about 66 gal. The idea isn't so much to go for long nonstop flights, as to be able to "tanker" fuel for out-and-back without refueling or go further before having to fill up with avgas (I'm planning to run mogas whenever I can). I also added a trim tab to the left aileron and I'm using a heated Piper blade pitot. Hopefully the old static port on that will work for AOA.

In the fuselage, I'll be running a hard line for smoke (might as well do it now) and quite possibly building a narrow center console to hold the throttle, armrest, and engine/fuel switches and knobs. The console isn't set in stone. Other minor mods would possibly be a light/long extension of the baggage area like some guys use for fishing poles.

Engine-wise, a 180hp parallel-valve with electronic fuel injection and a constant-speed prop. Electronic injection means redundant electrical power, so I'll be tweaking the Nuckolls Z14.

Avionics are baselined as Skyview, but I'm considering AFS also. But I'm not investing too much in planning this right now--much will likely change between now and when I'm ready to buy. And if anyone has experience using lighted pushbutton switches (like the NKK UB series) I'm all ears. I'd really like to have the Korry switches like the heavy iron does, but not at $100 each...

Paint: The wife and I are both Georgia Tech alums, so white and gold was the obvious choice. Inside the cockpit will be a light tan and black. The registration is just a placeholder.

Last edited by rmartingt : 09-18-2019 at 11:57 AM. Reason: added paint pics
Old 01-31-2016, 03:10 PM

Default Details on the mods

This is the trim tab on the left aileron:

And here are the fuel tanks for the left wing. On the outboard, fuel is in the area that is riveted. I also put non-locking SPRL caps on all four tanks.

Started riveting the firewall this afternoon.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:15 PM

N313GT approves!

Chris
Old 01-31-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacket RV9 View Post
N313GT approves!

http://i65.tinypic.com/znxa9z.jpg

Chris
I didn't realize you were so far along. Looks good!
Old 02-29-2016, 04:31 AM

I'm not quite ready to start installing them yet, but since Raymo was kind enough to loan me his longeron dies, I went ahead and bent the longerons. I don't know what trying to bend them "by hand" is like, but with the dies it was pretty simple. The second one I bent almost perfectly on the first pass (unintentionally!); about 1/4 to 3/8 of a turn on the vise handle after I felt resistance was enough. Took about 90 minutes to do both.

Now, back to the fuselage frames (currently drilling and deburring the baggage bulkhead), then painting them.

Also squeezed in a flight review in a CFI friend's A22 Valor LSA on Saturday. I wasn't as far behind the airplane as I was the last time I flew it but it's still very different from the RV. I'm used to being able to drop the -6 in from a close pattern, but even with a hard slip and flaps this thing just doesn't come down. And the little wheel isn't where I'm used to...
Old 10-02-2016, 06:50 PM

Excruciatingly slow progress since late August; lots of work, finalizing the adoption, and a much-needed weekend trip with the wife. But the aft fuselage is riveted up to the middle j-stringer except for a couple of troublesome rivets under the tailwheel spring mount. Finished drilling up the center section lower skin and disassembled it today to start the deburr/dimple/prime routine. Man, I am so ready to be done with the major portion of structural assembly and get to the fun part--all the systems! Tubing, wiring, etc.

But over Labor Day weekend, I borrowed Dad's -6 and took Joshua for his first flight:

He slept through the whole thing, till I opened the canopy on taxi in.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:56 AM

Wow, so I've been a bit of a slacker at updating the thread... but in my defense, we've had a heck of a year or two. A few of the guys at FFC have probably heard some of this...

Starting in 2017, my wife started going to Emory in Atlanta for her epilepsy. After lots of testing, and far from just getting the second opinion we were looking for, the doctors up there decided that she was a candidate for surgery! Apparently they evaluate a couple thousand people a year and only one or two hundred are viable candidates. That was unexpected news, to say the least--we hadn't even considered that as an option, much less any hope that she could be "cured".

In January of this year, she had probes inserted to nail down where the seizures were originating, and then on April 19th she went in for surgery to have that part of her brain removed (sounds scary, doesn't it?).

You know how they always tell you before surgery that "there's a small risk of (serious thing)"? Well, she caught that risk. During the surgery she suffered a stroke in the part of her brain that primarily controls motor function, and when she first came out of surgery she couldn't move anything on her left side. Those first couple days were probably the scariest of my life.

Fast forward four months.

Two weeks of intense inpatient therapy had her walking out of the hospital, unsupported. A couple more months of outpatient therapy back home has her running around kicking a soccer ball with our son. We're hitting the gym four days a week and she's back up to (or exceeding!) where she was before her surgery. I think her progress has exceeded even the best expectations of any of her doctors or therapists--so much so that as of yesterday she's done with all of her therapy.

And over the past couple of weeks, she's been coming out to the shop to rivet with me Her therapists consider it a good therapy exercise and she's enjoying it, and with her help I'm ready to flip the canoe as soon as I get the cowl exit heat shield riveted on. I'll have some pictures up after the flip.

Oh, and just before her surgery, I also picked up an engine core, so to speak--an O-360-A1A, disassembled and tagged minus cylinders. An experienced local A&P will be helping me assemble it when the time comes.

But the best part of all this? Still no seizures She has at least a couple more months to go before we can start working on getting her driving again, but the longer she goes the less likely it is she'll ever have one again.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:06 AM

Fantastic news, Bob! You guys are hitting it out of the park.
Looking forward to further updates.

Doug
Seattle area
Old 08-21-2018, 06:14 AM

wow. quite an ordeal. can't even imagine. glad to hear she is doing so well. amazing.