VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-30-2020, 06:35 AM

Looks nice but I would suggest you leave a bit more of a service loop on LRU's.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 03-30-2020, 04:42 PM

Default more cow bell

Walt,
You said add more service loop.
Would you support that larger loop with a pan pole or let it flop around?

I have enough to mate and de-mate, without worrying about it flopping around.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2020, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
Tail 98% done
Wings 98% done
Fuselage Kit 98% done
Finishing Kit 25% working canopy
Electrical 5%
Firewall Forward 5%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 04-24-2020, 09:22 PM

Default Calling the Fuse Kit Done

Well, the last lines of the fuselage kit's instructions have been completed; I am calling the fuselage kit done. It doesn't look like much progress, but a ton of work and learning.

I added a doubler for the ELT antenna. It sounds simple, but took longer than expected. Everything else went OK. I had a really good bucking bar helper; I am not sure how anyone could do this riveting alone.
It took me a little less than two years to complete the fuse. Seems for many others, the slow build fuse takes twice as long as the wings. I guess I am no exception to the rule.

I was able to attached the side braces on the bench before installing the turtle deck; I can't image doing this on the plane. Those elevator supports I built several years ago really came in handy.

Next up, the finishing kit, starting with the canopy.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

RV9A- Status:
Tail 98% done
Wings 98% done
Fuselage Kit 98% done
Electrical 5%
Firewall Forward 5%

Last edited by PilotjohnS : 04-24-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:06 PM

Default Curved sections

Aha so that is where those curved channels go! I was wondering about them in my parts box as I am not yet that far along on the fuse.
That's a good idea for holding the turtle deck, thanks for posting.
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 05-20-2020, 01:53 PM

Default Finishing Kit, Part 1 of 100

So it is time to start the finishing kit. First up is the canopy. It seems nothing has caused more trepidation from those who have gone before.

So I dive in.

The roll bar is attached first using special spacers. These have to be drilled to match the holes in the canopy rails. I drilled a pilot hole first, then flipped the spacers over and drilled the final hole from the "backside". I did this to avoid the drill bit wondering due to the "split level" top side.

The rest of the roll bar install went per plans. I did have to use a 0.025" shim under the left side to get a good fit, as mentioned in the plans.

I started fitting the canopy slider tracks too. I am installing the Supertracks from Flyboys that allows the canopy to open up farther. I order the longer RV 8 track spacer to avoid a split in the track. The trouble I ran into is bending the curve. Turns out using a simple wood block and the Armstrong method, I was able to bend it to match the full size template, no problem.

Drawing the center line on the spine spacer was a bit tricky, but I found I could use a carpenters level to draw a line holding the square against one side, then draw another line holding the square against the other side of the piece. This produces two lines on the part, with the exact center being between the two lines. In the picture below you can see the longer spine spacer, and looking closely, you can see the double line markings.

Things are slowing down now that the beach is open. But I can't let summer get in the way (too much) so I am determined to keep on making progress everyday.

RV9A- Status:
Tail 98% done
Wings 98% done
Fuselage Kit 98% done
Electrical 5%
Firewall Forward 5%
Old 06-28-2020, 10:43 PM

Default Finishing Kit, Canopy Part 1a

So I have been working on the fitting the canopy frame, the first step on the canopy tasks. I had taken a month off to do yard work and whatever else I could find to avoid the canopy stuff. Finally I decided it needed to get done while the weather was warm.

The canopy frame was fairly close to perfect from the factory. I had to tweak 6 spots in the front hoop. I have a little more to go in the back hoop. But the back hoop requires less force and is already really close.

I took the advice of others and will cut the canopy front tubes, and will put the canopy track on after the frame is bent. I found it was much easier to do this without the tracks being on; I just used a wooden spacer under the front tubes to raise the canopy frame up to about the right spot.

Here is how I bent the front hoop use a 3/4" conduit bender from the precision tool isle at Lowe's:

I then measured the height of the gap to make sure each side was even. I found I had to take out a slight bend on one side to make it even.

Here is the overall fit of the frame. The top height is not correct because the frame has not been sized for the track rollers.

Like everything else on this build, I stressed over this, but once I got into it, it wasn't so bad. Just keep swimming- Dora

I truly want to thank all those others who have come before and posted their build details. It takes the VAF community to keep me on the right path.

RV9A- Status:
Tail 98% done
Wings 98% done
Fuselage Kit 98% done
Electrical 5%
Firewall Forward 5%

Last edited by PilotjohnS : 06-30-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:52 PM

Looks good John. You also seem to have gotten through that part in better spirits than I did. haha bending and tweaking that frame was probably the worst thing I have done all build so far.
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 06-29-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotjohnS View Post

It takes the VAF community to keep me on the right path.
Hurry up John. You have to fly to Inyokern next year to buy me an ice cream

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:59 PM

Most excellent work on the frame! Mine was pretty close at the outset as well. Like the use of the conduit bender.
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 07-12-2020, 08:56 PM

Default Canopy, Part 1b

So, today was a good day. I managed to wrestle the canopy frame into submission and I think it fits well. In total, I think a good 8 hours with a 1/2" and 3/4" conduit bender should be a reasonable time to allocate for this task.

I started with the front hoop, and then did the rear hoop today. The rear hoop requires much less force; I over bent and had to unbend several times. My only advice is to realize the levelness of the top horizontal portion is caused by the side bends. The front hoop and the side rails form a rigid structure that the rear hoop bends around. The original fit of the rear hoop was really close, I just had to do a minor tweak. I did the tweak and the shape of the rear hoop became a disaster. I freaked out for about a minute and did the opposite of what I thought it needed and it all came back in line. I used reverse psychology and the metal tubes fell for it. Gosh I am good.

In summary, I started with the side rails (no adjustment needed), did the front hoop, and then the rear hoop. I think this order worked out well.

I used wedges under the side tubes and that was good. This allowed me to put on, and take off, the canopy frame all day as I adjusted the bends.

I am saying it is done. I will check the dimensions and fit tomorrow just to be sure it hasn't decided to spite me and regress to its prior mental state.

Here is a picture showing the wedges I used. I could not imagine doing this with the tracks in place.

I will install the tracks next and then onto the big cut.

This summer,
the hardest part of the build seems to be.... summer. Too many beaches to visit and too many hikes to take with friends, but we'll get through it.

RV9A- Status:
Tail 98% done
Wings 98% done
Fuselage Kit 98% done
Electrical 5%
Firewall Forward 5%