VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-12-2020, 12:21 PM

Default Trimming for rudder

The instructions say 1/4" from the lower holes but depict halfway between the two upper holes. After measuring and marking, the line is consistently not at the halfway point between the upper holes. Should I go with the midpoint or the quarter inch mark? See photos below.

http://imgur.com/a/UKN5LH4
Old 07-12-2020, 02:54 PM

The "halfway" between holes applies only to the longest set of stiffeners - each one is half the full length of the uncut stiffener. After that use the 1/4" references.

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
RV-10 in progress as of May 2020

https://tbrv10.blogspot.com/
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/
Old 07-15-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettShaffer View Post
The instructions say 1/4" from the lower holes but depict halfway between the two upper holes. After measuring and marking, the line is consistently not at the halfway point between the upper holes. Should I go with the midpoint or the quarter inch mark? See photos below.

http://imgur.com/a/UKN5LH4
I don't see any reference to a midpoint. Can you point it out?
I just see 1/4 inch measurements for all parts and it worked fine for me. For the longest A part, the two 1/4 lines will be very close together and I used a jig saw to make that cut. All other 6 I cut with the bandsaw by first making a rough diagonal cut and then it fits for a right angle cut.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewumnrr View Post
I don't see any reference to a midpoint. Can you point it out?
I just see 1/4 inch measurements for all parts and it worked fine for me. For the longest A part, the two 1/4 lines will be very close together and I used a jig saw to make that cut. All other 6 I cut with the bandsaw by first making a rough diagonal cut and then it fits for a right angle cut.

Yes there is no reference to a midway point, it just appeared that way looking at the instructions. I called Vans and confirmed I should ignore where the lines end up with respect to the upper holes.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:18 PM

Default Left/Right

Just FYI: I had first labelled the parts swapped for left and right because I interpreted the dashed horizontal center line as being a "valley" but Van's seem to express with the line a ridge so you are looking at the part standing on its flanges. Not a big deal when you later look at the assembly instruction where it becomes clear which side is left and right.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewumnrr View Post
Just FYI: I had first labelled the parts swapped for left and right because I interpreted the dashed horizontal center line as being a "valley" but Van's seem to express with the line a ridge so you are looking at the part standing on its flanges. Not a big deal when you later look at the assembly instruction where it becomes clear which side is left and right.
In that case I labeled them backwards. Thanks for the heads up!