What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV of the car world

Chino Tom

Well Known Member
Patron
I agree with Doug that the MX-5 Miata is the car world's RV. Been waiting
for him to show us a picture for some time. I wonder if he spends anytime
at Miata.net. You can find out anything about your MX-5 on this site's forums. Just like the VAF :D

Here is mine....

miata019.jpg

I disagree only on the point that the RV is somewhat more practical an airplane than the Miata is a car.

You guys are all wrong.

the caterham would be the equivalent of a home built airplane, in the car world.

One big difference is that at 6'5" I can get in an RV, that is difficult at best in a Miata.:eek: IMHO, the RX-8 is the Mazda to buy...

OK Ill bite on this absolutely not RV related thread.
Here is my 99 Vortec supercharged Miata running down a Z06 corvette on the track. Took a few laps to run him down. But run him down I did. Poor guy had to point me by. Little cheap Miata and his expensive late model vette. I really felt bad for him. Really I did.:p
Both of us on street tires. Weight AND power is everything.

This is my daily driver. My little Miata has taken exotics, vetts, Mustangs, Porches. etc. It is the cats meow in fun, cheap, fast, reliable, light, well built, nimble cars. You just cant beat the look on owners faces when they try and run with me and loose. My sleeper of a car is a hoot to drive.
miata2sm.jpg

Enjoy,

sniip....It is the cats meow in fun, cheap, fast, reliable, light, well built, nimble cars....snip

A very RV-like sentence!!! Kahuna, I yelled out loud at the laptop when you passed that Vette! Out loud!

d

And I'll bite too

I drove/raced a '99 Miata for nine years and they are great cars. The MX-5 is more a boulevard cruiser. The first two generation Miatas had double wishbone suspension, and a great engine, which made it more responsive.

The MX-5 is bigger and heavier with a Ford derived engine. In addition, they changed the suspension and dropped the double wishbone. :( Word is the redesign was a result of the European pedestrian crash regulations.

The new MX-5's are outstanding cars if you are used to driving an SUV, truck, or Camry but for pure handling you really need to drive one of the older cars.

With some simple mods I was able to get mine up 1.2 G's on a 150' skid pad and zero to sixty in six and a half seconds and that was without adding a turbo or supercharger. It was a blast to drive; you never had to slow down for a curve or street corner. The 15 mph traffic circle by my house could be done at 67 mph w/ the track tires. :D And that was without squealing a single tire.

I've also been known to run down crotch rockets in The Gap on street tires.

Dang, I miss that thing!

Last edited:
:confused: Don't know many hairdresser's who own RVs :D
Yeah, whatever.

Like the Miata, the RV isn't about pure raw power, but about light weight, simplicity and balance, which all lead to performance. If the Miata is a "hairdresser's car" because it doesn't have a 400Hp V8, then the RV is a "girly man's plane" because it doesn't have a 400Hp TIO-540.

Sheesh.

TODR

Yeah, whatever.

Like the Miata, the RV isn't about pure raw power, but about light weight, simplicity and balance, which all lead to performance. If the Miata is a "hairdresser's car" because it doesn't have a 400Hp V8, then the RV is a "girly man's plane" because it doesn't have a 400Hp TIO-540.

Sheesh.

TODR
Doug,

I know of two Miatas that were close, both 1.8L turbos. One was a few hp over 400 and the other was at 380 hp. That is at the wheels. Oh, and they were both street cars. Daily drivers for the most part.

Remember, just like flying, the secret to going fast is never having to slow down.

A very RV-like sentence!!! Kahuna, I yelled out loud at the laptop when you passed that Vette! Out loud!

d

Kahuna is right. Great cars. The NA models (up to '98, pop-up headlights) can be had for a song, some with mods.

My girlfriend has a 2000, got it last year. Was a garage queen, now it's a grocery-getter. I have three rules for cars, bikes, and airplanes - they should be light, fast, and cheap - it does all three just fine.

Drives great in snow too, with snow tires and 100lb of sand in the back. :)

Yeah, whatever.

Sheesh.

TODR

you guys crack me up defending calling the miata = RV.

the miata is not owner built. like a caterham.

the rv IS owner built. Not like a cessna

fun little cars, can't carry much luggage, but totally fail to compare to an RV

they might compare to a fury, but maybe they are a little cheap for that comparison

...the rv IS owner built. Not like a cessna...
Trust me, there wasn't a part in my car, including the entire driveline, interior, ECU, etc. that wasn't removed, improved, and replaced. In some cases, two or three times. It was as much a homebuilt as my RV was.

Last edited:
Sorry......

I drive a '94 B Miata, cut my own hair, but Sam wins, hands down.

The kids have seen Sam's car on the web and are lobbying mom already!

Last edited:
SUNP0017.jpg

SUNP0028.jpg

And to try bringing this back at least to aviation, if not RV, here is one of the shops that make Miata's "fly".

Fun stuff:D

the rv IS owner built. Not like a cessna
Are you saying that every RV owner built their plane? That nobody buys an already flying RV? Aren't about half of RV owners non-builders?

The comparison to the Lotus 7 derivatives is a good one, light weight, lots of customization that goes on in the builds, but they're rather rare - the RV is the most popular homebuilt and a common sight. Can't tell you when I last saw a Seven.

TODR

Here's mine or should I say hers...

lft-frt-marina.jpg

Here's her's or should I say mine...

PICT0075c.jpg

opps that's the one I miss now it's an X-5...:confused:

In my opinion the only car that matches an RV would be the Ultima GTR. I sometimes refer to my RV7 build as the "airborne Ultima"
(7,0l V8 685hp weight around 2,000lbs, 0-60 in 2,6s) - the car that is...
And yes, I built them :eek:)

dbl1.jpg

Last edited:
'93

I miss my totaly stock 93 Red Miata with the factory hard top option. I babied it for three years then my kid had an accident with it
(with the hard top on) He rolled it end to end. Insurance company paid me 2 grand more than I paid for it. My boy? Just a scratch on his arm.
PTL. It was terrible on loose gravel.

The analogy between an RV and Miata is flawed for several reasons, not the least of which is that the Miata, unlike the RV, can hardly get out of it's own way. Corvette... Now there's a better fit: Outstanding performance, inexpensive, efficient, and comfortable on long trips.

Besides, all Miata owners dream of one day owning a Corvette (right Rosie?);)

You guys ....

got me thinking about Miata's again. I was thinking about buying one a few months ago to commute to the airport. I drive about 60 miles round trip almost every day and my Silverado SS can burn through a tank of gas pretty quickly.

Of course I started off thinking about a Miata but then I starting thinking that if I want sports car maybe I should look at used vette's or boxster's :rolleyes:

Car talk

Geez guys, all this car talk going on. Pretty soon, some nut case is gonna wanna put a car engine in an airplane.:eek:

Are you saying that every RV owner built their plane? That nobody buys an already flying RV? Aren't about half of RV owners non-builders?

The comparison to the Lotus 7 derivatives is a good one, light weight, lots of customization that goes on in the builds, but they're rather rare - the RV is the most popular homebuilt and a common sight. Can't tell you when I last saw a Seven.

TODR

look up a few posts, you'll see one :D oh, in real life? yeah, not as popular. but it seems like every airport i go to has cessnas around, but i have to look in hangers to find the rvs. nah, im not saying a flying RV was built by the current owner, but it WAS built by a single individual (or multiple persons, but primarily one person) and generally except for those repeat offenders, its one RV built per person. anyhow, i'm sure its a fun car, i've never driven one. I really would like to drive a lotus 7 copy someday.

Trust me, there wasn't a part in my car, including the entire driveline, interior, ECU, etc. that wasn't removed, improved, and replaced. In some cases, two or three times. It was as much a homebuilt as my RV was.

nonsense. who registered your automobile? and out of all the miatas, how many do you think get modified as much as yours was? in other words, your miata was/ is an exception, not the rule. they're factory built, you all buy them drivable from the mazda dealer.

Since everyone else is presenting what their version of the RV/Car is, my entree:

green.JPG

Nimble, fun to drive. Good Mileage, Enough room to be practical.

In my opinion the Miata is closer to a Pitts than an RV.

My Ground RV is a 1999 M3

Road and Track says: "Best handling car of all time at any price." I don't know about that, but it sure is fun to drive. And my RV is painted BMW Titansilbur, the same color as the base color on the plane.

I think my plane accellerates a little faster, about 5 seconds to 60 mph, and when I pull back on the wheel of the car nothing very interesting happens. :p

I like the RV better.

Just sealed the deal . . .

It was time. My 1996 C-package Miata B&T is going away, I bought a 2003 LS today. Probably going to prep that one too, I love my track day time, with mid-ohio, Nelsons (fav) and the Beav within 1.5 hours . . .

I'm back to the Miata as the RV of the automobile world. It's about 'total performance'. Somebody got close with a 'Vette, but when I go there, I end up with Cirrus in the back of my mind. Miata is not the fastest, not the largest, not the smallest, not the most comfortable, may be the most durable, is certainly the most customizable (sorry guys). It does what it does with a certain joy that few cars can replicate at 3x the price. It teaches you something every time out. It's totally honest, for better or for worse. And unlike the BMW, at least I don't have top replace A arms every 25k miles.

So if anybody is interested in a autocross/track day prepped 1996 Miata let me know. Or maybe I'll just keep them both . . .

Rick 90432

MX-5

I agree that the Miata is the RV of the two dimensional earth bound vehicle world. Below is a shot of the family 2006 MX-5. It's the only stock class autocross car that I've ever seen lift a front tire :D

3998526323_1bdc8a2d2f.jpg

That being said, I'm still saving my pennies for a Lotus Seven one day!

Last edited:
Lone Star or Factory Five Cobra

Both are kits with various "quick build" options. Instrument panel can be configured for the "mission" of the car. Drivetrain options vary from salvage used to factory new crate. Paint and finish are custom and are done to the owner's individual taste. Whit planning, the cost of construction can be controlled for affordability and possible for nearly anyone to own.

I could go on with the comparison, but you get the point and the dawg is ready for his coffee.

I'm with Robbie on the FF Cobra's

I'm with Robbie on the Factory Five Cobra's. I would like that to be my next build. Roadster or Coupe? But then maybe I should be building an F1 instead of a 9A. I loved airplanes since the 50's and Cobra's since the 60's. On the bucket list.

I considered a Factory Five kit but instead I am going down the road of a Monster Miata. I purchased a slightly wrecked 93 black and tan C-package Miata, tore it down to the bare tub (no frame on a Miata), had it soda blasted and the body work repaired, then repainted British Racing Green. All the required engine bay mods have been made for the transplant of the 5.0 V8. The suspension, brakes and wheels & tires have been upgraded in the process. It currently has the original drivetrain so I can enjoy driving it while I prepare for phase II. I have the donor Mustang and most of what I need and I hope to perform the transplant next summer. When I am done, unlike most FF Cobras, I will have a real roof (two actually, soft and hard), windows, heat and a/c, and it won't shout to the police "I wanna race". My Miata will have more than enough performance for me. Check out www.monstermiata.com.

Kahuna,

I think it wasn't a matter of the Miata being a faster car; I think you were the faster/better/more aggressive driver. You caught him on the curves, he ran away from you on the straights, except when he let you pass.

Now, what was it that passed you?

Ooooh

You guys are all wrong.

the caterham would be the equivalent of a home built airplane, in the car world.

You just gave the game away about my next project...Hey I had to have a reason to buy that mig welder..:)

Frank
Corvallis

Nah...

You guys are all wrong.

...the equivalent would be the early Lotus Elans - which Mazda admitted was a basis for the Miata.

Many of the early Elans where even kit-built to avoid the excessive new car tax that existed in England in the 60's. An amateur built car (no professional help allowed) avoided this tax - around 30%, IIRC.

I owned a '64 Elan in the 70's when I lived in MI - the other cars and even the insurance company didn't know what it really was...:) It was a blast to drive, and selling it was one of the worst automotive decisions I made...:confused:

Mine was even light blue like the Emma Peel car...:)

131021d1250641691-emma-peels-photos-5613_103055716371951_100000025694370_91176_1472529_n.jpg

Bad mistake to sell your Elan Gil. Some classics are just worth hanging on to, even if they take a homebuilder ethic to keep running. I've still got my 71 S4--and it's descendant, a matching Miata. The first Miata prototypes were modified Elans. Now you know the whole story of how the Miata came to have homebuilder roots.

garage1 002sml (Large).jpg

Mine was even light blue like the Emma Peel car...:)

131021d1250641691-emma-peels-photos-5613_103055716371951_100000025694370_91176_1472529_n.jpg

Ahhh Emma Peel....always wanted to be John Steed. Those were the good old days, The Avengers, Man from Uncle, Combat, 12 O Clock High, Rat Patrol
and Branded. They don't make them like that anymore.

The Founder of Lotus

Colin Chapman was an aviator and a true (car) homebuilder. The first Lotuses were built in his garage. He went on to design some of the greatest cars of all time, including the Elite, Elan, Lotus/Caterham 7, and a number of incredible pure racing cars. He worked with Burt Rutan on an early light sport aircraft--Lotus even built a unique prototype engine for that project. Burt, by the way, owned an Elan. Without Chapman's help, even the few Deloreans produced would never have been made.

His involvement with John Delorean led to Chapman's ultimate doom. Having proved himself to be one of the most creative designers ever, he was tempted into the world of creative finance--once more ahead of his time. When things began to unravel, he suffered a massive heart attack at the young age of 54 and died.

So sad, such a waste.

Back