What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

600nm limitation?

blandess

I heard a while back from my supervisor that experimental aircraft are limited to 600nm from home base. Keep in mind, he has never built or flown an experimental, and I can't find it anywhere in the FAR's. Has anyone ever heard of this? It's not going to stop me from building given my mission is usually less than that but my home airport in Ohio is 1000+ from the town I want to move to in TX and it would be nice to fly there in the RV.

Thanks everyone!
Bo

I heard a while back from my supervisor that experimental aircraft are limited to 600nm from home base. Keep in mind, he has never built or flown an experimental, and I can't find it anywhere in the FAR's. Has anyone ever heard of this? It's not going to stop me from building given my mission is usually less than that but my home airport in Ohio is 1000+ from the town I want to move to in TX and it would be nice to fly there in the RV.

Thanks everyone!
Bo
Ignore him. You can go where you want to go regardless of the distance.

Heck, if you're brave enough you can cross the boarders of the continental U.S. and go to Mexico (chilling thought!). :D

There are a few that have flown across vast quantities of water to other countries in experimentals. I shudder at that thought! Funny thing is, I spent 8 years in the Navy...go figure! :eek:

Yeah, that is a pretty absurd notion of only 600mi. How do all those people get to Oshkosh...

I guess all the RVer's are going to jail.

Ask your boss if he remembers the Rutan Voyager. Experimental that set a world record non-stop flight around the world.

Ask the supervisor to put up a 100 bucks and then show him the documentation on this one.

As far as NM limitation, it's only your gas tank or bladder.......

Yes - there is a limit...

Thanks everyone!
Bo

...and it is usually 300 or 600 nm radius, depending on performance.

BUT - it is for Experimental - Exhibition and Racing aircraft, not our Experimental - Amateur Built aircraft.

IIRC, a notification to the local FSDO can allow operations outside the designated "proficiency area".

FAA Order 8130.27 defines the classes.

Your supervisor was partly correct...:)

Gil is correct!

I think your supervisor is thinking of Experimental Exhibition aircraft.

I was wondering if he meant warbirds.

I also wondering if the PIC of Rutan's Voyager was able to log that flight as a cross country in the log book?:confused:

No! Since he did not land at another airport away from the originating one.

<chuckle> That is a hoot! (Texas term?) He sure didn't have to since the only requirement is to log time required for proficiency... requirements. I'm in the midst of Commercial study, and can't imagine why someone with 1000000.. hrs of everything would even care :).

How does he think all those experimentals got to OSH w/o getting busted?

He talks out of his rear alot of the time... He is one of the guys that has done everything twice as much as you and knows someone that knows someone... I took it with a grain of salt but thought I would run it by the pros... :D

Thanks pros... I'll save this thread and make him explain himself one day!

Bo, you will have a 600 nm or so limitation on your RV. But then you can land and gas up and your good to go another 600 or so.

Nope, Only warbirds...

As of Sept. 2007 the 300/600mi limit no longer applies. The warbird guys no longer need to notify the FAA for going past those limits.

http://www.warbirds-eaa.org/geo_limit.pdf

...are covered by this letter - "former Military Aircraft".

The radius limit still applies to other planes, such as imported acro aircraft and non-type certified sailplanes, as well as yearly updated Program Letters detailing planned uses.

Glad my sailplane has it's 1977 Operating Limitations (much looser) that do not expire...:)

EXPERIMENTAL EXHIBITION

For a short time around 1992 the FAA stopped certifieing all aircraft that had previously been certified Experimental Exhibition. After they resumed certification the limitations were much more stringent. The aircraft certified prior to the moratarium never had their limitations changed. Examples of aircraft affected are Sukhoi, Mudry, some Extras, gliders, and various foreign warbirds.

Bo, you will have a 600 nm or so limitation on your RV. But then you can land and gas up and your good to go another 600 or so.

Bryan...you don't have to worry about it...you'll fly over 600nm commercially...right? :eek::eek::eek:

Back