What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans fuel sender for two inputs

h&jeuropa

Well Known Member
I'm trying to help a friend with a RV8. It has the Van's fuel level gauges installed and the float senders. He is adding a GRT EIS and EFIS and would like to display fuel level on the EIS & EFIS as well as on the original gauges.

If he just taps off the wire from the sender to the gauge the voltage can be more than 5 volt max for EIS.

If he makes a voltage divider say a 470 ohm resistor and 680 ohm resistor and uses the junction of them for the input to EIS will that work and not adversely change the calibration of the Van's gauges?

Thanks

Jim Butcher

If he makes a voltage divider say a 470 ohm resistor and 680 ohm resistor and uses the junction of them for the input to EIS will that work and not adversely change the calibration of the Van's gauges?

Thanks

Jim Butcher

Those values are a bit small - they?ll ?load down? the Van?s gauge a bit, leading to some inaccuracy. Try 6800 and 4700 ohms instead. You can?t make them too large, or the EIS input resistance will start to change things.

while you're on this: as I'm reviewing some of my electrical connections, I was tryng to find the amps required by these old Van's fuel level gauges. Anyone knows the recommended breaker amps for the 2 of them? thank you

You will be banging your head against the wall to make both the GRT EIS and analog gauges work off the one sender.

As the GRT EIS provides a nice calibrated reading in gallons from these senders, I suggest that you will find no need to keep the analog gauges.

Carl

Back