What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best fuel sender

BruceMe

Well Known Member
My fuel senders are giving erroneous resistance readings... measure with ohm meter. They are the older style, wire wound. If I'm opening that @&#@!! hole again, I'm doing an upgrade.

#1 Put in a low fuel indicator (electro-optical fuel level sensor)
#2 Replace the existing level sender

What's the best for #2? What have people put in that "just works". I know it can't read the top 4g, that's fine, I have a good totalizer and this is going into a G3X. I just want to know what's in the tank on long x/c.

Thanks!

Used Princeton capacitance in the Cozy MKIV. Had to replace one last year when it started to misbehave after 600 hours. I also used them in my RV-10. Very accurate when the fuel level falls enough to start reading. Decided to use the Van's float sensors for the RV-9A, and I will use them in the new RV-10. The reason I am going back to the float type senders is because I sometimes use auto fuel, and mix sometimes with 100LL, rendering the capacitance senders pretty useless. And they do break and stop working as do the float senders.

I have a 12. Contact them and they will tell you what you need. I was the first 12 they did. I supplied them with dimensions etc and they produced a model for the 12.

Double check your ground wires. Pull them off, clean up the contact surface, and see if that helps.

Double check your ground wires. Pull them off, clean up the contact surface, and see if that helps.

I PM'd you I had checked at the sender... which I did, and it was erroneous, which it was... but the sender chassis was isolated from the tank (gooped too well). I scraped one rivet clean and added a 1/4" spad/washer for a grounding strap and that did the trick. Thank!

I had the same problem with my -6 a long time ago, and had heard (I think on MotorWeek) it's most likely caused by fuel deposits on the resistance wire causing the wiper to make inconsistent contact. The fix is to use BG 44K fuel system cleaner. I've used it every couple years on my -6 and it does help.

Back