What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

12th annual ice cream social at Inyokern, CA on March 7th

AX-O

Well Known Member
The 12th annual ice cream social will be held at Inyokern, CA airport on March 7th from 1100-1400.

The ice cream social is just an excuse to get together, eat some free ice cream and fly.

If you would like to attend, please email me at axel"underscore"alvarez "at" hotmail "dot" com. Use "Ice cream social" on the subject line of the email for spam filter reasons. If not, it will end up in the "trash/recycling bin" and I won't know you are coming. The head count will be used to figure out how much supplies my wife and I need to buy. All I need is your name and the number of people attending by March 1st. Please DON'T wait until the last minute. This happens every year and we have to flex last minute.

-The airport's web site is http://inyokernairport.com/

-Our preferred calm winds runway is 33.

-Runway 20 is the only runway with non-standard traffic (right pattern).

-Click 3 times on 122.8 for AWOS info.

-R-2506 is closed on the weekends. You can contact Joshua Approach on 133.65 if you wish to request flight following and restricted area over flight. I will call them and give them a heads up.

-When you are in the pattern, stay West of Highway 395.

-If you are coming from the West you can follow the red route. If you are coming from the North/East, you can follow the blue route.
IYK%2520route.JPG

Some things to remember if you are not familiar with airport operations.
-You are responsible for yourself, kids, family, etc. NO EXEPTIONS! You are there at your own risk, be vigilant around the flight line.

-Aircraft are the greatest invention of mankind however, they can also be dangerous. Approach every aircraft as if it were "ON". An encounter with a turning prop or intake can yield very bad injuries.

-DO NOT touch an aircraft unless you have the permission of the owner/pilot.

-Please leave your pets at home. No need to have your dog, cat, liger, emotional support peacock, etc. around each other, food or aircraft. If you MUST bring your pet, please have it on a leash (especially if it is a liger).

-Please make sure you dispose of your trash. If you don't, it could potentially do damage to aircraft engines/props. (And I will have to clean it up)

same as last year. The picture below depicts the area. It is the IYK terminal building. When you come off runway 33 or 02 on Taxiway B3, it is the building right ahead. BTW, the location is inside a red restricted area. It is NO LONGER active.

New%2520icream%2520social%2520location.png

Hope to see you and your family there. The only thing better than ice cream is free ice cream.

Please bring your 9a so i can look at your engine/ canopy details!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm...are the Jet A pumps working? That’s right at the limiting distance for a one-hop...

Will be there, assuming wx better than last year (or was it the year before, CRS moment). Email sent.

Looking forward to this event, and hoepfully seeing lots of airplanes.
(email sent)

Hope to be in attendance, 2 of us, sent an email.

Fingers crossed for glassy flying conditions for the RV-12

Might have to stop in at Kern Valley, L05 for breakfast, earlier. Great view while having a bite to eat

Last edited:
2 weeks out folks. Thanks to those that have replied via email for the head count.

I just signed off the jet’s annual, so let’s hope for nice weather down the Owens Valley!

Then again, I woke up to four inches of heavy wet snow this morning.....let’s hope it got it out of its system.

Still expect to be there, WX permitting. Tailwinds for us on the way in (from KSZP) if the forecast is right. Just hoping it's not too cloudy.

WX predictions are all over the place. aviation site are predicting 8-12 kts. Oh well. Fingers crossed for good WX.

Planning to be there in the RV-7A/7 prototype, WX permitting of course, and hopefully bring some stickers and other stuff. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Weather is looking dicey up this way too. Will check again in the AM, fingers crossed.

Little too socked in with clouds our way, not to mention winds.

Going to pass, unless some sort of weather miracle happens in the AM, That'd be a bumpy rough ride in a RV-12, most likely, with that weather front blowing through, the isobars are stacked pretty close together.

I’m afraid I’m out - the winds up here are already gusting to the high 20’s this morning, mostly crosswind at our runway (which is unusual) - and forecast to get worse. Definitely way outside the jet’s envelope, and wouldn’t be very comfortable in an RV either....

Would anyone come out if we have this tomorrow at the same time in addition to today?

Last edited:
I am optimistic that tomorrow might be possible!

I can get done today what was going to do tomorrow and if the forecast holds, it is possible.

I didn?t commit originally because I was scheduled to work today. I?m off tomorrow and would head out if you?re leaning that direction.

Turning on also for sunday. 1100-1300. See you here. I have too much stuff left over. Lets make it go away.

Great Time!

Got there with wife, dog and friend a but had to drive because of negative clearance between clouds and rocks to the south. Still had a great time and a bowl of free ice cream. The formation flight demo was great, too. Can?t make it for Sunday, we?ll see ya?ll next year. Nice job Axel, and thank you!

Axel,

Nice to meet you today, hope you had a Happy Birthday.

Very fun event, excellent displays of flying while there, nice people, great to see such a good turn out on such short notice.

Thank you for hosting, it was an absolutely beautiful day for flying in. Hope to make it again, next year... and thanks to Van's also, for flying in their prototype 7A today, with full HDX glass panels.

Such eye candy!

Just got home. Long week end. We took friday off to set up. And ran the social on sat and on sun to make up for the bad WX.

A HUGE THANK YOU to my wife. She made everything so perfect and worked so hard. She was the one that suggested to do the social on Sunday also. She is amazing.

A big thank you to Greg for personally flying here and to Van’s Aircraft for bringing RV-7 serial number 1 (also RV-7A serial number 1). They supported our social on both days!! Greg passed out A LOT of goodies. Van’s new logo is very modern, simple and clean. There is so much meaning behind it. Maybe he can post the requirements behind it for the development. Thank you again Greg and Van’s aircraft. It is so crazy to think how different many of our lives would be without your product. My life has definitely been positively affected by my choice to build the best aircraft out there on the market.

Thank you to Inyokern airport for the great facilities that we borrow every year.

Thank you to Lightning Formation Airshows for also coming out on both days. They flew in some challenging conditions on Sat. And they did an outstanding job.

If you came out, thank you.

Please post your pics if you get a chance. Thanks.

MMw3K08_d47Arny6Wmuc6pfrSAf_HlraeDubpUZNkIp1_fsuwL83HnXPiC_mXJRVWwq9vOWPyU1B0v7JrjkoiidZTnzQ4KTOilbROoGdn0lmTN41cB_Te72e-F2v-cR7Itdvhe4t4AojQ-6JOgfOw_wRePEUdNSUOESLfukLkSDo_tixJAj1hD16d9zPAtVsyHVGTeRp1ZIZ7noN0ADkTM04hkGIF4iMnkSMWluje8jzBa4ICC3IFN-0FovxCnt3S75xK3vNr8G_ZrrFY_0TNQgloEGhDKMT2Ta8xMI6JjLCJn2HIZgG6kZjoJUDC53YQQaNElEqa6tBGIDqFGp4PDOhsilxMMK5UclYxpIokstITOlJsUDLXDUBoVMM1adi6YvHWjXMrLZYaKrq29u3HJHRSO94c4UJkKBwOKgZ6gvlOc-NFwRqM70rqSxUvFMXlsbzZS9REmxn40p55Pg6gVUEYxfBTZhchiZarTz9CG5DqQu7M96PQYm7DdU4AJm340F_OTUptNptACXB0kqqUQINXTyeGd_ljbqW8fH0Zu6fAndS_0os8wKOc2YkJGXZjEpoGGOp89PLNwAtV8Jjd8cxJPcrnjVSFP5y9QXNiHPF7EtPdoEPB9NMNTHwLRvvErDvjqCei0oT-SHHDkE2LIF35BAqUgDlmFup8Zmsg1-_r4_ETWIO6g=w1173-h947-no

4TYq3Ie_UxOKTay27HaJ7R-rdT9c0-j9U7MtlY4w3QpB1HeXzT_mYxybnqHbx2pXbSCjugp94PEliwgJtjaWMfFle1WmTdhGrAl7UVlBw4nGc9XZDAGDwmEp9CkpTGsD3My-ATSPDajbGj1PXBf-WLwJiIIl6M_iOnEAYUM1dsvLFOHUD787qE9F9y_eJqZ_iuU26NgwIJRyG7MJc9TE-qOfBji2rTaj2aTGRMMRqs7fuMmqaIJibKPypbc1JQZ5dzrZK4EGCTTpkIkWZjyJw7SOAarVV_1F-Q07rVygUFbk2Msks1WyvHYWhhkyJTGriOqS6FB4ReLpaJvdXCC3ARi9P93lzmy7JFi4Tnm_rH7G1UELPrVqXNAEnJlr3Ayv-oVthhJQMnz1u0bhmBx48egUei1xhK7DMxXl0Vusm0KWmLh_RCV94lkgygY4xlOt3UzA1eqc3NGcDoQSXBRbuyOuJsudn6DSnKXpNdRi38tBQe7t0zsr5yq32FTaYKszM8wwhC2Y6wXlDT717Firyg4z84-FHQQ88loemZdg8z5NHAd1R1Nej-GKacixvBf5lyCx8CugWY9AVU-CI_ivKUSaaCivrnYAu1gipeJmEizgUK9fqkreOe6L0ZmYczrwhHaGHNlMY-0kSafJvkPTFDI6b1jXd0CxJuRKomrH4lgdg717kDr2dg=w1263-h947-no

IiH5xOSJ8vp73BP0iikYxvcEoMPxSOsX1pC0yGu-cGPz99eTND3EmL9QJiq-p9qWU15ZoeNkuuYfo0rMqQTMtRo0lNvmcDGIZtUH7rU2eASjN9Mml9r_eJvlpNJsUvulawa2VSjvd17i_1IDzn7BdMMcQo6JvaJ9K3Dt3H85viHXisU5QBlarhomCXbxeA-mKUHgoV_3sadHIN-lRg-drNWmLoOs8WmrYIOS1lNm_V7HG6mG1TEnR5Qt9OIftRCl6qy3ZcW2TbMeYaCq0HNrwN_1wYocY1u_qqyiH8W5_JoalnFkKdp2nYuOLt_N82WpFfX5Zwlhhw4rH4DSI3bwD1hDaEf64c9JADi51_aq1GrHnmNXrV_rD6WuK_pgcWPldtBzxJ37khuy98GRqv38y6YirDlX8RhrLrrwaPKZXuOgGAlcGiLpq-9kNwDhyTCBJp4RvLviUQ9arJDKgtD1KdKIH5bmLRH6tVZteESEZEK5whfUGUeaAJcJSAWRewHX5lLWtkyPjsQ8W0PWDMwoEoeI93C5k-OeilsNC12MAn5Lf5ajydGvM5vnJAIs1tYo5XQEDaDtCS91GPhkFajHE52_YyjvIS2vl5fm08cuVKS0i1aZ9QKP_AZ03f4z0qEqGWiRuQkk1agFODsPLo-DB1aJJLVQINv_ujo0yxcL8N37TugSmkef_Q=w1263-h947-no

JjmhliaKObM9wrhkK4ctLwioiheW7bC7wBGZUEu_Kk2cim_U2K2zi24NLfv5ua1whH5C95Ew08FOnwjrcZw7dPnwp-TQCgQlXK6gocJt7o1sffyGNQ2sc3xAtWVnr9nMZUZvC_102PIzmxbZnXVbyzeR8CAmUlP8Sb5Qg-e6sFzedjHlvvNFoWppNfA9jCu2jmC8h-wdsK4ay3iqf3SS3jTUPGVvopNoGG7cFBAxzRm6zo86PqYR6oYTSWc3P4WFIzFyVSmIZjHGiEzSy1k-PnejzMJ9L7vtRNdNV_NveQ9EErkkYoRqnSldj9D2j-vZvMI__1BicYtOtcn-hyDbEilph_zv-kzCn5nGLFCmeE5RrYjVNscSehyH2PHNW6xwM-axPS_a5TdGzXQHiQZUx9SK4tRy0fwzEImlWCbPdQi8ciqg1Ws4AXMymTS9eiYOj9jJ9cSd-ilxpi8g_U_s9Oy3xGM5GAPtCOgZJnD2Hwm9UpQ7B6uHeN_JhZ8KxLlEXLgFb6Wf96l_wE4wKdqInpOTaxuPHa_bK3MXuhsFhogiW63l2bo3Ms6O5hbQ3cxofQDeVbVaGflrE62YCI6KD5rrlScMsORqZdq4t4UKNriaXpA6q5a1Fval97tzIUHYhw4L71idOJ2EGRGmL_88f6gITrQIyhmOBYKTegXEyL_lL9MKcSNCOQ=w711-h947-no

NGP6ZxK9hxZftfy0XE9VXoNA-G9ZwL3v26OmONnycUXJ9xNNwH_tYHFJFYRbyCWbNRruz57g-uDBifV4XmAmPi06-FOAj_9R-boCLBOkCbD1xg_p1fPet-XPPHJ9MQzlLT_EvbmF28X72cL2p5VnERT5IITskYItw7N6HSdwJXeUAwN30yo6zUuBVA03TKmANS2kWYcjv_qsKZCdqlwMLJgRCZpTSn1f7sy3PcVJg5EsvHE2euwAAANyp_mYRfbQN1uAwTVcUo7SmHnjrJyQzsaPIduJc5fo-MKAqKmjk1GCBFXccPR0OVD9RkOcz7L35yIlRAbS1njNxXAU6SWtimpvBfI-PAkU4yGtlOBLrzEV49xvHpQXnze_OU8Cy8lfMA5WXJV7cRNLlu6rhmdH7p1uQ7JMsOJfksc0PrERmScFcSZSjjo1ZGVKJK2WNoUAH0h1gvefgtwuof81DN7dZhr9Pnf-cYVyllSUVDXfvVlOsYBsC8QbFc0nYTtJ8tnLazfHGnZn-7K5B9FCHy7qVBv7xZm0QPTXsgAUKfFD1mFZzNy9Lu1XdTu2rB96Zg4LqBcfWUXFJJKqsVa5iOy1Lnl7oT4Eu7a_YfifljpQahFjnwO3IHQx6snaLGdoWbzn0fC1TO4Jiv9yCdCnHXmO-OTPc4J3pDYM5FNKy4hPAfxpl0WJdbT3BQ=w711-h947-no

Last edited:
Host and Hostess

And here's Birthday Boy himself, along with his Better Half!

oHu.jpg

The RV Formation team:

oHE.jpg

And a 2-ship pass:

oHb.jpg

Last edited:
What a great weekend! I was incredibly lucky to see some people I have not been able to spend time with in a long time, which was awesome. Plus, I got to meet a whole bunch of new faces and talk about RVs, formation flying, maintenance, service bulletins (go figure hah!), what sorts of things people wish we'd do at Van's in the future, and lots of other great stuff. Heck I even handed hats to RV folks at Santa Paula airport on Friday and then saw them again over at Inyokern for the party! What a great crowd.

The airplanes and people were terrific, and the party was awesome. Seriously, Alisha put in a huge amount of work - and she and Lori really pulled it off not just one day, but two!

And of course: Happy birthday, Axel. Your bday tradition has really turned into a great RV get together!

Back