What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pulse Oximeter - recommendations ?

Rick_A

Well Known Member
There seems to be a very large number of cheap Pulse Oximeters on the market (under $25) but there are also some higher priced models. I would like to buy a good quality Pulse Oximeter that is accurate, easy to read while flying and one that will last at least a few years.

I was ready to buy a "Nonin Go" for about $89 but these seem to be on backorder everywhere I look. The next model from Nonin is about $160. I would prefer to buy something for under $100 but I'll spend more if I need to in order to get a good one. I've seen one or two that were over $200 but that seems like overkill.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I have one of the $30 ones from Amazon. I have no idea how accurate it is, but it shows nearly 100% sat at 1000 MSL and 91%ish at 10K, both of which I think are reasonable readings. I trust it for relative numbers, which is all you're looking for anyway.

I've had it for 5+ years and it is holding up fine.

I think we’ve got about three of the $30(ish) ones, and they all give the same readings on the same person right about the same time - so they seem to be pretty consistent in calibration. O2 concentration is fairly important where we live, so we track how we do.

We could spend more, but I don't know why we would!

Agree with Paul. My $30 from Amazon correlates very well with $5000 hospital model. If it is off one ore two percent not a problem in 90-98% range. If you get into below 80% where the saturation curve is steep well then you have a different problem....

Just and FYI but If you are not on supplemental 02 the pulse ox shouldn’t be reading 100%, nor should a pulse ox that isn’t reading 100% be though of as being inaccurate. Normal o2 saturation on inspired room air in a normal person at sea level should be somewhat greater than 90% but less than 100% depending upon a variety of factors. Our lungs aren’t completely efficient although some are better than others.

Last edited:
As long as you buy one that works I think you?ll be okay. However, most important, keep fresh batteries available for it. I don?t use mine too often but when I do it always seems to need new batteries!!!

? We have a very reliable, very easy to read, high quality, unit that was
designed to operate correctly at altitude, as many do not. We've sold over
3K to date with zero issues and no failures! We have them in stock and
stand behind them 100 %. What more could you ask for? Thanks, Allan.:D

Wow, like many things electronic, the prices have really come down. We bought one for our dad after his stroke about 16 years ago. Seems like we bought it from Sporty?s for apx $189.

? We have a very reliable, very easy to read, high quality, unit that was
designed to operate correctly at altitude, as many do not. We've sold over
3K to date with zero issues and no failures! We have them in stock and
stand behind them 100 %. What more could you ask for? Thanks, Allan.:D

What happens at altitude that affects a pulse oximeter?

02 Meter

?. The one we have is not the same as the one on Amazon, but they all look
pretty much alike! I don't know all the technical jargon as to why some work
correctly at altitude and others do not, but this one does and the manufacturer
has both. They specified this unit to us when they found out it was to be used
in aircraft. Thanks, Allan...:D

The product description on Amazon says it is for pilots. I’m also at a loss to explain how altitude would effect the functioning of the pulse ox as it simply measures the percentage of deoxyhemoglobin in the blood, the effects of which would be constant regardless of altitude. In other words, the physiological effect would be the same independent of altitude for a given O2 sat value. I can’t see how or why the machine would not perform its function when up in the air.

Last edited:
Aviation Physiologists input

Nonin is the best brand, it?s what we use in the Air Force. That said it is overkill for our needs. I use a cheaper model myself.

Things to consider:

- don?t bother with a unit that includes a memory function you?ll never use it.
- LED version a must you won?t be able to read the LCD version in direct sunlight
- the cheaper models take longer to establish a reading but seem to establish the same SPO2 once measured.
- a few deep breathes will make a big difference when taking a measurement. Try for yourself.

Be safe. Don?t try to correlate your hypoxia symptoms with a PO2 value. You can?t judge your cognitive degradation when cognitively degredated. If below 90% you are impacted by low grade hypoxia.

I have one of Allan's units and it works great, easy to use, easy to read, low battery draw down and the price is right.

Here is a reason why this is important:

The pulse Oximeter operates under ?Beer-Lamberts Law?

Nuff Said....that in it of itself tells me it must be important! :D

But, the only reason I could find between the cheap and expensive ones is the durability of the cheap one?s may not last when beat around in the cockpit. Dropping it, etc...

As a ground paramedic, I can vouch that the $30 CVS pulse ox reads the same as my $20,000 Zoll monitor that I use on the ambulance. Reading times are about the same too. Just as a personal preference, I like having a pulse ox that has a plethysmograph (wave graph) versus a bar graph. Helps ensure you are getting an accurate reading of your pulse and not artifact. I’ve seen many pulseox show a reading while sitting on the bench...

I have a blood condition called Thalassemia Minor where my red blood cells are smaller than normal. Many pulse oximeters - like the cheap ones from Wal-Mart - won't work for me. The ones at the hospital or doctor's office work just fine. Can any of you experts recommend one that will work for me?

I have a blood condition called Thalassemia Minor where my red blood cells are smaller than normal. Many pulse oximeters - like the cheap ones from Wal-Mart - won't work for me. The ones at the hospital or doctor's office work just fine. Can any of you experts recommend one that will work for me?

...Ask that doctor if he got his from Anti-Splat-Aero?--:rolleyes:

P.S. I almost forgot, We will have a couple of new products up
with videos on our website soon, so keep an eye out!

Last edited:

John

Anemia, as you may have, shouldn't effect the spo2 reading as it represents a % saturation with oxygen of whatever hemoglobin you do have, albeit lower number of cells or normal.

Altitude should not have an effect on the reliability of the spo2 reading.

What does effect the spo2 monitors typically are low perfusion states from factors such as cold fingers, low blood pressure, decreased peripheral perfusion, some types of ambient lighting, and what is called artifact from moving the extremity as it is trying to obtain a reading. Other types of hemoglobin such as methemoglobin and carboxyhemoglobin can fool a traditional pulse oximeter but I do not think Thalassemia Minor can.

The expensive monitors can overcome these factors, and others that I have not mentioned, better than the less expensive monitors.

Last edited:
Anemia, as you may have...
Hi Steve. No, I don't have anemia. I have plenty of red blood cells but they are just smaller than "normal". I can breathe just fine at altitudes up to 12,500'; Above that, I get a headache. My condition fools many pulse oximeters.

Typically you get what you pay for. Having said that the one Alan at Aerosat (no pun intended) works well enough. Movement artifact is the usual problem with the cheap (and expensive units too for that matter) units. Also you only need intermittent readings to figure out when to turn the oxygen on.

I can breathe just fine at altitudes up to 12,500'; Above that, I get a headache.
This sounds pretty normal for the average 50+ year old person who doesn't live at high altitude. Just a sign of hypoxia, which is probably more likely for you given your condition.
My condition fools many pulse oximeters.
By fools you mean it doesn't give a reading or you believe it gives a consistently incorrect reading?

My Long EZ had no heat and when operating in a cold cockpit (i.e., cold fingers) my pulse oximeter didn't read. I assume because of cold and little activity to get my circulation going.

I'm sure all RVs are toasty warm inside and this probably isn't an issue, but maybe someone knows the answer to this question.

db

when operating in a cold cockpit (i.e., cold fingers) my pulse oximeter didn't read. I assume because of cold and little activity to get my circulation going.

db
Yes, this is quite likely in my experience. When perfusion to the extremities is reduced, we often cannot obtain readings even with multiple different sensors. In those cases, we can sometimes obtain readings with a probe across an ear, nare or cheek.

At altitudes most of us typically fly, an occasional reading for reference would be beneficial. Personally, I carry a pulse oximeter for reference but only use it if symptomatic. After using one at various altitudes you may find you can predict the altitude at which you would benefit from wearing supplemental oxygen; this altitude may be significantly lower than what the regs mandate.

By fools you mean it doesn't give a reading or you believe it gives a consistently incorrect reading?
It's a Santa Medical SM-110 (made in China) and the reading just bounces around from 18 to 90, interspersed with error codes. I just tossed it.

It's a Santa Medical SM-110 (made in China) and the reading just bounces around from 18 to 90, interspersed with error codes. I just tossed it.

?.Like I said, I think the unit we have will perform well for you, and should it
not, just send it back and we will both be better informed. Thanks, Allan..:D

I bought one from Allan when he first started offering them. Still on the original batteries!

One thing the oximeter has taught me is that I really do a poor job of breathing at altitude. I don't breathe nearly deeply enough. I find I get into this zen state in cruise flight, typically very alert and watchful as I monitor and cross-check, but also very relaxed. As a result my respiration is slow and somewhat shallow. This is really bad for oxygenating blood. I can bump up my O2 sats by 5-8% with just three deep breaths. It's really quite amazing to have this tool to show us how our bodies work!

I bought one from Allan when he first started offering them. Still on the original batteries!

One thing the oximeter has taught me is that I really do a poor job of breathing at altitude. I don't breathe nearly deeply enough. I find I get into this zen state in cruise flight, typically very alert and watchful as I monitor and cross-check, but also very relaxed. As a result my respiration is slow and somewhat shallow. This is really bad for oxygenating blood. I can bump up my O2 sats by 5-8% with just three deep breaths. It's really quite amazing to have this tool to show us how our bodies work!

Could be me writing that. First time I tried my new-to-me pulse oximeter (very cheap, as in free to me) at altitude, I was alarmed. A few deep breaths later, all well. Have had the same experience a few times subsequently. Don't forget to breathe!

For what it's worth... Took the cheap thing to the doc's office after that flight while getting a routine checkup. The cheap device tracked the expensive one within a percentage point. Lesson for me was better the (likely accurate) feedback from a cheap one than none at all.

Back