What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil pressure port

kaweeka

Well Known Member
vawimr1yfbol

I noticed a small drip of oil from the pressure port on my -9A. I have an IO 320 B1A which has a 45 degree fitting off the top right port on the engine. When I looked further, I noted that the fitting, which needs to face downward to avoid the engine mount, was not tightened rather held with a thread seal. When tightened properly, it would face upward. I ended up taking out the engine mount and the fitting, tapped the port another 180 degrees and re-installed the fitting with fuel seal and getting both the clearance from the engine mount and the tightness I needed. Thanks to Tom Swearengen for helping with a new hose and, as always, good advice. Now, no drips!

czru8kggwsov

Last edited:
Remove one engine mount????

My oil lines were way overdue for replacement so I ordered a set from Tom. I changed the hose size for the pressure line not realizing that changing the 45 degree fitting on the oil pressure port is not possible without removing the adjacent motor mount. So.... Is it possible to remove just the single motor mount without loosening up the other three? Do I need a engine lift? Any sage words of advice?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Sean

I had to do just that same task, with Tom's hoses no less. Yes, right or wrong, I supported the engine with a hoist, removed the upper right mount and replaced the fitting. Everything went easily. Hope that is of some help.

Confidence boosted!

Thanks David, that is very reassuring. I'll take a run at it this weekend.

Cheers, Sean

I forgot to mention that I took pictures and made alignment marks on the mounts AND bolt to re-install the mount in the same orientation and with the same tension.

I just removed my fitting there last week to verify that it was a restrictor fitting. Glad I did it, as it really was not that tight. I modified a 7/16" wrench by grinding a deep relief down both sides of the wrench, in effect making the 7/16" opening very deep. I was then able to get on the fitting flats nearly straight on and using a 3/8" drive extension, fit it through the boxed end of the wrench for leverage. I got another full turn on the fitting and am now confident it will not leak. I had to remove the magneto to get access.

One more question

I forgot to mention that I took pictures and made alignment marks on the mounts AND bolt to re-install the mount in the same orientation and with the same tension.

Gents - were you able to do this by removing one bolt/mount or did you have to loosen them all?

Thanks!

Cheers, Sean

Last edited:
Back