What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taylor 125 Air Race

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
The race is on for the 29 of this month (March 2008). It is a cross country race with the fastest planes starting first to avoid on course passing. There are many classes but the main ones for us are the RV-Red (320 cu. in. or less) and RV-Blue (360 cu. in.). The race course narative, chart (not to be used for navigation purposes I'm sure) and turn point photographs are now available at the www.sportairrace.org website. Click on Calendar of Events then click on the underlined text in the Taylor 125 listing and click on underlined text to go to the available information from there. I received the following message from race boss Mike Thompson a few minutes ago:

Greetings, Race Nuts.

You've spent the last three months laying up fiberglass, burying antennas, slicking up wings and making rude remarks to your competition.

You've changed spark plugs and exhaust systems and swapped big draggy Main tires for smaller.

Your fingers are cramped from waxing - your eyes are glazed over from Race Withdrawal... but it will soon be over.
This is what you've all been waiting all winter for.

The first race of the 2008 Air Racing season is imminent, and the race page is live.

You may navigate via the Taylor 125 Air Race link on the Events page of the SARL website, or save time by going directly to:
http://sportairrace.org/id182.html

As in last year's races, we will keep a running list of registrations of those who use the Entry Forms at
http://sportairrace.org/id21.html for members, or
http://sportairrace.org/id19.html for non-members.

Watch the Who's In list to see whom you will have to beat on 29 March.

Y'all take care - we'll see you at the races!

- Mike

If you decide to enter I think you will have a fine experience - Mike really puts together a good program.

Bob Axsom

Classes

The race classes are for experimental and production aircraft. They are listed under the Mission link at www.sportairrace.org but I am going to list them here as well:

Experimental Classes:

UNLIMITED
Any Experimental Category aircraft with a turbocharged engine with a displacement of 1400 cubic inches or less. Class winners in both Fixed and Retractable gear.
SPORT CLASS
Any Experimental Category aircraft with a normally aspirated engine with a displacement of 1000 cubic inches or less.
SPORT FX
Any Experimental Category aircraft with 550 cubic inch displacement normally aspirated with Fixed Landing Gear for RV-10s, F-1 Rocket, Harmon Rocket II etc.
Biplane Unlimited
Any aircraft having two main lifting wings, to include a tandem configuration, factory or experimental, with an engine displacement of 1400 cubic inches or less
Biplane Sport
Any aircraft having two main lifting wings, to include a tandem configuration, factory or experimental, using a normally aspirated engine with a displacement of 1000 cubic inches or less.
Biplane Blue
Any aircraft having two main lifting wings, to include a tandem configuration, factory or experimental, with an engine displacement of 360 cubic inches or less, normally aspirated.
Biplane Red
Any aircraft having two main lifting wings, to include a tandem configuration, factory or experimental, with an engine displacement of 320 cubic inches or less, normally aspirated.
RG Blue
Any Experimental Category aircraft with an engine displacement of 360 cubic inches or less, normally aspirated, with retractable landing gear.
RG-T Blue
Any Experimental Category aircraft with an engine displacement of 360 cubic inches or less, turbocharged, with retractable landing gear.
RG Red
Any Experimental Category aircraft with an engine displacement of 320 cubic inches or less, normally aspirated, with retractable landing gear.
RG-T Red
Any Experimental Category aircraft with an engine displacement of 320 cubic inches or less, turbocharged, with retractable landing gear.
FX Blue
Any Experimental Category aircraft with an engine displacement of 360 cubic inches or less, normally aspirated, with at least two fixed landing gear.
FX-T Blue
Any Experimental Category aircraft with an engine displacement of 360 cubic inches or less, turbocharged, with at least two fixed landing gear.
FX Red
Any Experimental Category aircraft with an engine displacement of 320 cubic inches or less, normally aspirated, with at least two fixed landing gear.
FX-T Red
Any Experimental Category aircraft with an engine displacement of 320 cubic inches or less, turbocharged, with at least two fixed landing gear.
RV Blue
Open to Van's aircraft RV-3, RV-4, RV-6, RV-6A, RV-7, RV-7A, RV-8, RV-8A, RV-9, and RV-9A airplanes powered with an engine of 360 cubic inches or less, normally aspirated.
RV-T Blue
Open to Van's aircraft RV-3, RV-4, RV-6, RV-6A, RV-7, RV-7A, RV-8, RV-8A, RV-9, and RV-9A airplanes powered with an engine of 360 cubic inches or less, turbocharged.
RV Red
Open to Van's aircraft RV-3, RV-4, RV-6, RV-6A, RV-7, RV-7A, RV-8, RV-8A, RV-9, and RV-9A airplanes powered with an engine of 320 cubic inches or less, normally aspirated.
RV-T Red
Open to Van's aircraft RV-3, RV-4, RV-6, RV-6A, RV-7, RV-7A, RV-8, RV-8A, RV-9, and RV-9A airplanes powered with an engine of 320 cubic inches or less, turbocharged.
SPRINT CLASS
Any Experimental Category aircraft with an engine displacement of 240 cubic inches or less, normally aspirated.
SPRINT-T CLASS
Any Experimental Category aircraft with an engine displacement of 240 cubic inches or less, turbocharged.
SPORSTMAN
Any Experimental Category aircraft using a VW or Corvair normally aspirated engine conversion
SPORSTMAN-T
Any Experimental Category aircraft using a VW or Corvair turbocharged engine conversion

Production Aircraft Classes:

FAC1RG
Any Factory-built aircraft with 280 HP and above, normally aspirated with retractable landing gear
FAC1RG-T
Any Factory-built aircraft with 280 HP and above, turbocharged with retractable landing gear
FAC1FX
Any Factory-built aircraft with 280 HP and above, normally aspirated with fixed landing gear
FAC1FX-T
Any Factory-built aircraft with 280 HP and above, turbocharged with fixed landing gear
FAC2RG
Any Factory-built aircraft with 240 - 279 HP, normally aspirated with retractable landing gear
FAC2RG-T
Any Factory-built aircraft with 240 - 279 HP, turbocharged with retractable landing gear
FAC2FX
Any Factory-built aircraft with 240 - 279 HP, normally aspirated with fixed landing gear
FAC2FX-T
Any Factory-built aircraft with 240 - 279 HP, turbocharged with fixed landing gear
FAC3RG
Any Factory-built aircraft with 200 - 239 HP, normally aspirated with retractable landing gear
FAC3RG-T
Any Factory-built aircraft with 200 - 239 HP, turbocharged with retractable landing gear
FAC3FX
Any Factory-built aircraft with 200 - 239 HP, normally aspirated with fixed landing gear
FAC3FX-T
Any Factory-built aircraft with 200 - 239 HP, turbocharged with fixed landing gear
FAC4RG
Any Factory-built aircraft with 180 - 199 HP, normally aspirated with retractable landing gear
FAC4RG-T
Any Factory-built aircraft with 180 - 199 HP, turbocharged with retractable landing gear
FAC4FX
Any Factory-built aircraft with 180 - 199 HP, normally aspirated with fixed landing gear
FAC4FX-T
Any Factory-built aircraft with 180 - 199 HP, turbocharged with fixed landing gear
FAC5
Any Factory-built aircraft with less than 180 HP
TWIN1
Any Factory-built twin-engined aircraft with 280 HP and above per engine, normally aspirated
TWIN1-T
Any Factory-built twin-engined aircraft with 280 HP and above per engine, turbocharged
TWIN2
Any Factory-built twin-engined aircraft with 200 to 279 HP per engine, normally aspirated
TWIN2-T
Any Factory-built twin-engined aircraft with 200 to 279 HP per engine, turbocharged
TWIN3
Any Factory-built twin-engined aircraft with 100 to 199 HP per engine, normally aspirated
TWIN3-T
Any Factory-built twin-engined aircraft with 100 to 199 HP per engine, turbocharged

Getting Ready

I'm sure most think that I just go out to the site of the race and put some numbers on and have at it. Obviously If I did something more my plane would be a lot faster. Such are the misconceptions in life. In the RV Blue Class our RV-6A is very modestly ranked in speed but I keep trying to make it go faster. Last year when we showed up for the first race of the season at Taylor I was parked by a white and Blue RV-7A with number "21" on the side of the Fuselage. Tom Moore was taping the cowl to fuselage joint in a very non-flamboyant manner and behind him was a multicolored RV-6 #44. Robbie Attaway seemed to have it ready to go. Over past the fuel pump in the headquarters hangar was two toned blue and white RV-6 #26 belonging to the SARL chairman Mike Thompson. That was the RV Blue field for the first Sport Air Racing League race. It might seem embarasing to say that I was last but it isn't really. The other pilots were better prepared and I had a very stimulating run - finish position is not nearly as important as being in the field of competition. Over the year I kept experimenting and in the end I got it going fast enough to win the class for 2007 because Mike and I have very similar speeds and no one else flew in as many races as we did. Well, next Saturday morning we will begin again. I have completed the new nose wheel subfairing and installed it.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Today I completed the two day task of removing the tip tanks, stock tips, stowed lighting wires and fuel lines, and installing the 3" racing tips. I looked all over the hangar and I simply can't find the blocking plates I developed last year for all of the blast tube and heater port holes in the rear of the plenum so tomorrow I have to make and install new ones. I am going to remove the tail tiedown ring which requires removing the rudder and tail fairing. Finally, before leaving home I will wash and wax the plane, install the race numbers, service the engine and tires, program the GPS with the flight plans that were completed last week and we will be ready to go. Next Saturday at Taylor I will remove the wing tiedown rings and cover the holes and remove the VOR antenna elements before starting up for the race. I will be looking to see who in the RV Blue Class shows up. Right now it is just Mike and me in #26 and #71 respectively.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
The weather

It is looking a little marginal for getting to Taylor on Friday from the north north east direction here in northwest Arkansas but we are still planning to make it there. The weather for the actual race on Saturday should be fine.

Bob Axsom

Latest info from Organizer Mike Thompson

I received the message below from Mike Thompson this morning. One thing that may be of general interest involves the posted maximum speeds of the entries. The planes are launched in fastest to slowest speed order so the planes get farther apart during the race and essentialy no passing occurs. The actual speeds establishing start order are in the list. Final speeds will be different but these are pretty close. It is kind of interesting to compare some of the speeds with Bonanzas, Barons etc. The weather is a concern.

Bob Axsom

You are pretty much the final field for the race. Congratulations.

Neither mechanical nor professional nor family issues have yet prevented you from attending the first race for 2008.

Weather is the only thing that can stop you now - the cold front that was going to push through Friday/Friday night is weaker then expected. It may take longer to go through, and may yet stall on top.

The rain forecast is 30% scattered, mostly Friday night into early Saturday morning.

If you were thinking of bringing the camping gear, the temps will be mild so you can leave the sub-zero bag at home. I will leave my hangar open and the airport office will stay unlocked all night for your comfort and convenience.

I know you will all make every effort to get here, consistent with the safety of your crew and your aircraft - cause this is going to be more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Soda, water or beer on arrival Friday, dinner will be served in my hangar 1800 sharp. Come hungry and bring a friend!

Brief is scheduled for 0830, launch at 0900. We will slip that schedule by 30 minute increments should there be early morning weather preventing day-trippers from getting in.

My cell is 512-663-2184. Please let me know if your arrival is delayed. If you can contain the delay we will wait for you.

Here is the (tentative) start order:

Race Number Max Speed Name Type Class

Race 74 290 Duncan Sutherland SX 300 "Shadow" Sport
Race 007 288 Rene' Dugas Turbo Legend "Legend 007" Turbine
Race 91 255 Bruce Hammer Glasair 1TD "Red Dog" FX Blue
Race 36 251 Larry Henney Lancair 360 "Wildfire" RG Blue
Race 13 242 James Redmon Berkut 360 "Berkut 13" RG Blue
Race 57 235 Ray Edmiston F1 Rocket "Sweet Loraine" Sport FX
Race 52 234 Don Saint Glasair II FT FX Blue
Race 70 230 Mark Manda Rocket HR-2 "Pride And Joy" Sport FX
Race 84 220 Russell Sherwood Glasair I RG "Marilyn" Sprint
Race 67 215 Ryszard Zadow Baron E-55 Twin 1
Race 526 210 Dave Christman RV-8 RV Blue
Race 71 202 Bob Axsom RV-6A "Blue Bird" RV Blue
Race 26 198 Mike Thompson RV-6 "El Lento" RV Blue
Race 83 197 Damon Berry RV-6 RV Blue
Race 77 197 Jim Huff Bonanza N35 FAC2RG
Race 242 190 Mark Frederick AT-7 "The Beest" Twin 1-T
Race 89 187 Nathan Larson Bonanza K35 FAC2RG
Race 06 186 Jim Hogue Mustang II "Sally" FX Red
Race 58 180 Charlie Heathco RV-6A RV Red
Race 05 172 Henry Punzi Mooney M20C "Little Red Racer" FAC4RG
Race 448 170 James Porter Cirrus SR20 FAC3FX

See you here!!
Fly safe!

- Mike

Michael E. Thompson (Grobdriver<at>yahoo<dot>com)
Austin, TX, USA
RV-6 N140RV, Race 26!
Ex-AX1 Sub Hunter, P-3 (B/B-TACMOD/C) Orion Aircrew,
PP-G,ASEL, Motorglider Driver and Dedicated Air Race Nut!
www.sportairrace.org

Pilots meeting now 9:30am

I flew in thursday and flew the course today at 800 agl.

kinda broken and scattered all day, just had a great laszona sp? dinner and Kit and Mike were great hosts. I sat with Mark Frederick and he is still bringing the beast @ 97 gph.

I wish it would rain now rather than tomorrow.

seven planes here.

drivers meeting at 9:30am and first plane off at 10 and every twenty seconds after that if the WX permits. if not clear by 12:30pm we'll scrub the race and head over to Mark's to check out the IO 550 install on the F1. EAA lunch also.

Last edited:
Mark You Are The MAN!

I spent the last two weeks getting the Blue Bird ready to race. I have been watching the weather which seemed to be deteriorating then yesterday when I fueled up my attitude indicator rolled over and died. I was going to fly down anyway if it was VFR but it was not to be - we had 600 ft overcast today. I drove down to Rudy Arkansas this afternoon to the Aircraft Instrument shop to get it overhauled in time for Texoma.

YOU ARE THE MAN MARK! I hope the race is run tomorrow and you do well.

Bob Axsom

Back