What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Am I the only one?

sailvi767

Well Known Member
I just don’t feel right if my aircraft is in the hangar and not in a full up status ready to fly. I can’t fly at the moment due to a medical procedure but it still drove me nuts I needed a spark plug change. Hauled myself out to the hangar to get it done even though I can’t fly for at least another 10 days and was supposed to rest. Am I the only one who gets bothered when the aircraft not ready to use even if no plans? Do I need professional counseling?
G

Your not alone!

I had mine out of service for 4 months awhile back doing some brake line changes and dealing with family issues..it was terrible!! I have been flying my -4 for 10 years now, and never let it be non-flyable for more than a day. I purposely do a progressive annual to prevent downtime. No amount of counseling will help!!

I just don’t feel right if my aircraft is in the hangar and not in a full up status ready to fly. I can’t fly at the moment due to a medical procedure but it still drove me nuts I needed a spark plug change. Hauled myself out to the hangar to get it done even though I can’t fly for at least another 10 days and was supposed to rest. Am I the only one who gets bothered when the aircraft not ready to use even if no plans? Do I need professional counseling?
G

I'm the same way. It is really important to me for the airplane to be ready to go when I am. Mine was down for an extended period in late spring/early summer this year and it was maddening.

It isn't just you. That is why we do a post-flight as well as a pre-flight.

Any self respecting gunslinger ensures his weapon is ready to fire if it is in the holster. :).

That was one of the primary drivers for not just owning my own plane, but building it - I always knew the maintenance status and schedule availability for the plane, and had to answer to no one else for it.

We might be crazy, but at least we're all crazy together.

Yes indeed.

We're all crazy, you're not the only one, we should be in therapy, and -

I sold my 6A in January and just had to push back my airworthiness appointment with the DAR from this month to next. This is bad, but the 4 years of inactivity between selling my RANS S-12 and completing my VANS RV-6A was the worst. You'll get through this.

You're not alone. I've been in a funk for about a week ever since I damaged my right main gear door. While I was inspecting the gear mechanism after a hard landing, the plane slid off the jack onto the gear door. I've been in the process of repairing it but I'm not quite there yet. You RV guys are lucky that you don't have to deal with the complexity of retractable gear...but then I'm lucky in that fiberglass is pretty easy to repair.

Back