What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intersection fairings with gear loaded or unloaded?

dwranda

Well Known Member
Hello all! When doing the intersection fairings should the plane be on its wheels or still suspended above the ground? Couldn't find clear instructions on it and build sites I frequent have me wondering which way is best. Thanks!

Agreed; unloaded. I found the cherry picker/engine hoist with a chain around the engine mount right behind the Lord mounts, levitated 1/16" off the ground, works well. Don't lift from the engine hoist point; good for 250 lbs, not 1100+.

FYI

Thanks! I have it suspended now so will do the fairings before dropping it back down.

I suggest you put a strip of UHMW tape down the upper and lower sides of the gear leg. At 130 hrs I took my fairings off and they were shaped like a banana. AND, the glass was wearing into the powder coating on the gear legs. They should slide with movement so slippery is good.

Another way to look at it - the plane will sit on the ground 95% of the time with the fairings loaded. If you fit them unloaded, and snug - eventually the the loaded (snug) condition will cause the mounting flanges to distort. so go for a good general fit with room for movement. Aerodynamically a slight gap will be insignificant, unless you are planning to race the pylons at Reno.

Back