What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Clear Fuel Line / Fittings

JohnD.TF4

Greetings all,

I am designing a ferry tank and would like to install a visual fuel gauge like the one depicted below using a transparent fuel line to get a live view of what is going on in the tank.

Does anyone know what kind of aviation grade clear fuel line and appropriate fittings I should be looking at?

Thanks!

ACtC-3cWSWIBDbaDwh3jPq9DTv7mPUygcC-zUwKRUxMQAQzOhW1iPUx7IbswntgtJ2GcVjzVna-5jlSagROcQI4oQtT1atSsKXv8x5MXaEcxfEkO0bsWvidH7f0c8jpPZh7LXD92FFwo-ihaiC84XuBvRJVG=w580-h668-no

Hi John,

We have a similar sight gauge in our Europa. Over the years we have tried several different hoses. What works best is Tygon SE200. This is a clear hose with a teflon liner. You must be careful not to bend it sharply as the liner will kink. In our setup we have SE200 inside generic clear hose to provide support. This setup has been in place for over 5 years with gasoline in contact 24/7 and shows no discoloration.

Tygon 4040 is listed as being for fuel lines. It is the common yellow hose often seen in marine applications. Our experience is that it hardens after a few months. It does work well as vent hose. Gasoline vapor doesn't seem to affect it and it doesn't kink like SE200.

Jim Butcher

Find a Grumman TR2/AA1B that Is salvageable and get the fuel tank sight tubes from that. Call Roscoe at:

Yankee-Aviation.com

I?m sure he can help. He has every part ever made for a Grumman.

John, since its going on a ferry tank that probably wont be installed permanently, it isnt a big deal. BUT---I would test whatever clear hose you decide to use with the actual fuels you'll be using.
Because we dont know all the chemicals in the different fuels, at least I dont, we dont know how some hose material may react to the fuels. Since you'll probably be removing the tank, its easy enough to replace the hose every so often.

But --it might take time for the hose to react to the fuels.
Had a client in AZ that had a beautiful high wing plane with some "supposed fuel resistant" hose. Hoses from the wings to the selector valve were hidden by closeout panels. After being gone for a while, they discovered the fuel had eaten through the hose and leaked fuel all over the cabin and interior pieces. Needless to say it was a heartbreaking and expensive repair.

Tom

Back