What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GNS 430 Update

kklewin

Well Known Member
I have my original GNS 430 thats in need of an update. Given the responses on here, I've opted for the Garmin (vice Jepp) one time install.

1. I purchased the new garmin installer, pulled my card, inserted into my desktop USB. I installed flyGarmin for windows on my PC and Garmin express.

2. I went to Garmin.com, set up an aircraft profile, and avionics profile for my GNS430. When I go to purchase database area, my GNS430 profile is there, but it only gives me the option to purchase an "Obstacle subscription" or a "terrain database" subscription.

How do I just purchase a "Navigation Database" one time subscription. Nothing in their "support" section helps and nothing on google. Of course its Saturday, so their support isn't open. Thoughts.

Thanks,

Kurt
Bozeman, MT RV6A

garmin 430 update

Kurt
I update my Garmin 430 monthly with Jeppesen and I buy it from Jeppesen. I don't think you go to Garmin.com to buy a one time update. You go to Jeppesen website to buy it.Here is an email address of customer support person who probably knows. [email protected]

Garmin got into the database game about 2 years ago, competing with Jepp on some applications, e.g. 430W. But for your non-WAAS 430, I think Jepp is still the only game in town.

Garmin got into the database game about 2 years ago, competing with Jepp on some applications, e.g. 430W. But for your non-WAAS 430, I think Jepp is still the only game in town.

I concur. Asked Garmin several months ago about purchasing a 430 non-WAAS subscription and they told me they only sold 430W subscriptions. Jeppesen is the only provider for what you want.

I also found this out at SunNFun last year. Purchased a one time update from
Jepp on the show special of $99.00. I am going to do the same again this year
if possible.

Thanks all for the info! You are correct, garmin does updates but only for the 430W.

Cheers,

Kurt

Back